Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How cool is MJR?

So I'm driving up Cajon Pass with my trailer in tow and a jeep full if kids for a weekend out in Mojave, when my jeep auto shifts down into second, then lurches, I hear a loud ticking noise, engine starts running rough and maybe missing a cylinder, and the check engine light flashes on..... Oh crap.

I pull over and start thinking.... I call Rat Patrol and leave a message, then Tammy and Chris (JeepGal and Duke69). Chris helps me run through some diagnostics, then calls Rick and Sarah for me, cause they live nearby. In fact, they were on the road heading my way! Kurt calls back (this is all after 10pm mind you), and offers some low cost possibilites for my issues (broken spark plug?). A few minutes later Rick pulls up and plays doctor, and prognosticates a terminally sticking valve lifter. This is a big relief for me!

My wife shows up, and I swap the trailer to her truck, and now I'm in the tow truck heading to All4Wheel in Corona. I don't anticipate getting home until 2am, but with MJR's help I am not to worried that I threw a rod or something too heinously expensive.

I love this group.

Thanks MJR!
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Nathan, bad lifter goes with a bad camshaft.
    Is a somewhat common problem on 2005 4.0L engines. Contact Chrysler if that is whats wrong, other people have had this repaired under warranty, after some fighting with Chrysler. It's a manufacturing defect.

Comment

Sounds like you droped a valve to me but I guess a bad lifter and lobe would do the same thing except with way less damage. If it is a bad lifter and lobe it wouldnt be the first time I heard of that happening with using mobil 1 synthetic oil. Keep us informed of what happened.
      Last edited by Jeeperator; 02-05-11, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Nathan, MJR is the best Jeepin' website on the planet because of the people. I guess I'm not telling you something you don't already know!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Hmm. Yes, it's a 2005 4.0L, and I just switched to Mobile One less than 2 months, and under 1,000 miles ago...

This maybe a dumb question, but how do I contact Chrysler? Do I have to go through a dealer? If the MFR doesn't pick up the tab, I shudder to think how much it would cost to have a dealer do a complete tear down only to NOT have it covered by Chrysler. So calling around a bit more, this really seems like a well known issue. Any class action lawsuits I should know about???

TreadLightly Trainer
          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Well, I met with John at All4Wheel this morning. He thinks its the cam lobe, related to the use of synthetics that don't have some particular additive anymore. He has seen this before, and it's not cheap. He thinks there might be bits of metal in various places as a result of the lobe failure and dropped valve. He reccommends a tear down and replacement of all the bearings and so forth. Darn Jeep only has 20,000 miles on it!

So I called Don-A-Vee Jeep (near me) and asked if there was a recall or TSB. They say not for my VIN. However, this rig has a 7 year powertrain warranty, so why don't I just bring it in, pay my $100 deductible, and have them fix it?

Heck yes!

Now, anyone have a flat bed trailer I can borrow, and willing to meet in Corona sometime next early next week?

Ping me at (949) 280-5710 cell

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I have a 16 foot flat deck car trailer in Glendora if'n you need it. Call Mitch or Roger or some of the others you mentioned, they have my number.

-Brian
              Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

I have an 05/4.0 in my Rubicon w/ 63K miles on it. I bought it just over a year ago w/ 36K on it. I've been using Mobil-1 10W/30 since I got it 30K miles ago.

I've driven mine to Colorado to explore the San Juans, and back.

I have never heard of any problems with the cam and synthetics. Now I'm a bit concerned!
                Dino Darling - KX6D

562-665-6286 (Text is BEST!)
                2005 LJ Rubicon

Comment

I have seen the same thing happen twice to the same guy using mobil 1 sythetic. If useing that stuff is working for you thats fine but I am not touching it. As far as fixing the problem you have to get a complete rebuild or a replacment engine dont just let them replace the cam and lifters. All that debree has contaminated your whole oil system. I had a cam go flat on me in a blown 540 and a peice of the lifter went in the oil pump and locked it up breaking the distributer gear (costly rebuild).

Comment

Just tell them you want your removed parts back. That block would make a sweet foundation for a stroker, or at least I know someone would be interested in the stud girdle kit.
                    God forgives, rocks don't
                    -sons of thunder

Comment

It depends on the warranty. Factory warranty will definitely keep the parts. Most but not all extended warranties will let you keep the parts.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I confirmed, I am under factory drivetrain warranty (7 years, 70k miles). Interestingly they said not all Jeeps sold around that same general time have that. Some are only 5 year warranty's. Depends on the promotional deal in place at time of purchase. I am fortunate I guess!. I was able to get the Jeep to the dealer this morning with the help of Rat Patrol's trailer. Now just waiting on diagnosis, which I should receive tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning at the latest.

Keeping the old block as spare parts would be pretty cool :-)

TreadLightly Trainer
                        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Here is the update. The senior tech at Don-A-Vee Jeep in Fullerton has 35 years experience working soley on Jeeps, and no other Chrysler product. Here is what he wrote down as probable sequence of events:

1. Intake valve lifter in cylinder #3 collapsed, causing...
                          2. a bent pushrod, which caused...
                          3. the cam lobe to shear

They say there is no damage to the piston head, and no metal in the cylinder or elsewhere. I think they intend to do a top end repair only.

They want to take off the grill and radiator for access, so I had to authorize them to take off my winch and Hanson bumper first.

TreadLightly Trainer
                          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Pulling the grill indicates that they'll pull the cam and not the block. They'll probably do a thorough inspection -if- they pull the head off. Everything I have dealt with Don-a-vee on has been a good experience. You should be in very good hands.
                            God forgives, rocks don't
                            -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                              Everything I have dealt with Don-a-vee on has been a good experience. You should be in very good hands.
                              Seem to have a done a good job. It's running. My bumper and winch are back on and functioning. It cost me $100 deductable (thank God!) and $260 in labor to remove the bumper and winch to allow access to the front end.

I have a bit of an exhaust vibration noise where it seems like my pipe is hitting my belly skid. But otherwise everything appears fine, and the top end is clean and shiny. Taking it to Mojave Trail this weekend. That will test it.

Oh yeah, they said they filled it with Valvoline 5W30

TreadLightly Trainer
                              HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Working...
                              X