Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

going with the Ford 8.8 in the rear, upgrading the breaks, now need to tackle suspens

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• going with the Ford 8.8 in the rear, upgrading the breaks, now need to tackle suspens

Thanks for the feedback. I am already committed to the Ford 8.8, with 4.88 gears, and a new ARB. I am going to put in the spacers, they were only $50.00 so why bother finding out later I should have put them in. I am putting new slotted rotors front and rear. Cheapo pads in the rear and new Black Magic pads on the front. ( I have had issues with stopping my 35's on hills when I need it most.. especially with a manual!)

What I am looking at next is upgrading the suspension. I am still a novice wheeler but I have been smart about saving and investing so I have a few bucks to invest in my rig to do it right. I have been reviewing the RockCrawler YJ coil conversion kit as well as the Black Diamons X2 coil conversion kit. The BD kit keeps leafs in the rear but has progressive coils in the front. These kits are anything but cheap $4500 or so, but the benefits seem to be there as I want to continue to wheel and improve my rig and keep her for a LONG time.

i am also looking at putting in a cage, and replacing the front fenders with the tubes from Smittybuilt, replacing my nerf bars with SB rock Sliders and protecting the rear corners with SB armor as well. 4wheel parts will sell me the fenders, sliders and armor for about $1,000 and charge about $600 to put it in. Any thoughts on the prices for the install?

Lastly, I have a set of Super Swamper TSL, SSR radials. 35,12.5,r15. i have had a tought time finding the "right" airdown psi to make these tires perform the way a tire of this cost should.... I typically air down to 10 PSI and I still seem to have a tough time gripping and pulling up some inclines (even in Gorman, Happy Valley, CA). The jeep seems to bounce and the lugs don't bite but rather spin. I have had to use my lockers when no one else has thiers one (or at least they say they don't . Any one else using the SS SSR's have any feedback? They are not the bias ply they are radials so they may have something to do with it but it appears they have a very very stiff sidewall.

Thanks,
    Brett

Welcome aboard-

A couple of questions and a couple of comments.

Why are you choosing slotted rotors? I recommend you look into the Centric rotors sold along side the Black Magic pads.

What do you have into the 8.8? I'm curious because I'll soon be selling mine, or parting mine out.

What is pushing you toward the Smitty Built rockers, corners, etc? Is it price, the look, a quality you like, or are you buying them from a friend?

You might consider looking into the Savvy corners and rockers as they are a better quality product built for the type of off roading you'd expect a locked jeep on 35" tires to get into where the SB parts are not.

Now for the TSL's. I hate to tell ya' but I havent seen a set of those work well on a jeep. They tend to do exactly what you describe (bouncing and spinning). Some people like this driving style of spinning up obstacles, and others prefer to stick and wrap the tire around the rocks.

I'd try airing down to 5-6# and see if the tires stay on the rims.

Otherwise, I'd sell them before they get trashed and get some MTR's.

Have fun, see you on the trail
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

If you want to save that money on the install and want to go for a drive than bring it to Hemet and I can help put it in and you can learn a little about your Jeep at the same time. I dont charge just addicted to wrenching. I found the best way to learn about your Jeep is by finding someone that already knows and turn wrenches next to them.
      It's not leaking it's marking its territory.

Comment

wow, thanks for the great advice and offer to help with the install. I am having Robert from RWK Haus Supply build and install the 8.8. He recommended the Centric Slotted Rotors, I saw your info before on the Black Magic Pads and that is why I am going with them up front. I am paying him about $2200 for everything (4.88, ARB, breaks, pads, stripping and setting up the 8.8 w brackets and all). I gave Frank @ South Bay Truck the chance to bid the job and he came in around $3000. Rob's link is below:

http://www.rwkhaussupply.com

IF I buy a new suspension system, I will gladly bring it to Hemet with a few cases of beer and allow you to show me how to put one these things in.

Regarding the SB fenders, I have a 4wheel parts right around the corner from me... I buy so much stuff from them that I can normally negotiate a pretty good price. Basically it was about $1000 for the fronts, rocker pannels and rear corner guards.

As far as the tires, yes, I prefer to crawl up and have the tires mold to the rocks or various obstackles vs bouncing over. I think I will buy a high dollar pressure guage and keep airing down. @ $300 a tire I want to get as much useful life out of them as I can...

Thanks,
        Brett

Comment

Here is my take and yes I am shop but long before that and still today I am a Jeeper trying to build my dream wheeler. I have built, helped build, and watched many Jeeps grow.

First the 8.8 Great set up if all you plan on running is 35s. You say that is all... but the 37s will call to you shortly. You could probably score a nice set of built/almost built 1 tons for the cost of what you will pay for the 8.8 build. Robert has great prices to set you up for the parts needed to finish off your 1 tons.

Have you considered skipping the bolt on suspension and purchasing a Kit from Poly Performance or Ruff Stuff?
          Then having a buddy or shop weld it in for you. I think you will be much happier with the outcome than a bolt on kit that is trying to achieve the same.
          $4500.00 for the Bolt on Kit plus install is a a lot of money for a kit that you will eventually be taking off. Just read through the past threads on here and you will see it is the natural progression of Jeep ownership. Learn from our Mi$takes and do it right the first time.:yay: Install a suspension that can grow with you. Plus most fab shops will cut you a deal on the cage work if they also do the 3/4 link install.

I second the stuff from Savvy! Skip all the Smitty stuff. Once again purchase once.
          Thanks my .2
          Head nut at Outdoorlogic
          Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
          www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

I would go with the Poly kit, great kit and it will allow you to grow as you go.

Not sure where the thought of an 8.8 not holding up to 37" tires, I have 37" Krawlers (reds) and have never had a problem.

Comment

I know from experience that Dan from Ruff Stuff has real nice builder parts and at a good price. He is also a stand up guy, if something is wrong with his stuff he will stand by it 100%. I ordered my beadlock kit from him and the rings didn't match he ended up sending me a total of 4 sets of rings and eating the price. Never asked for the parts back and when I told him I had all of those extras his wasn't worried about it. Order alot of other stuff from him with no problems. He is also the only one to offer hiem joints(rod ends) where the teflon bearings are cryogenicly treated. That makes them last alot longer.

Comment

Originally posted by neilbyrd View Post
                I know from experience that Dan from Ruff Stuff has real nice builder parts and at a good price. He is also a stand up guy, if something is wrong with his stuff he will stand by it 100%. I ordered my beadlock kit from him and the rings didn't match he ended up sending me a total of 4 sets of rings and eating the price. Never asked for the parts back and when I told him I had all of those extras his wasn't worried about it. Order alot of other stuff from him with no problems. He is also the only one to offer hiem joints(rod ends) where the teflon bearings are cryogenicly treated. That makes them last alot longer.
                The issue with Dans purches, are that they are Too HD! they are to long (anti wrap style) and to "tall". So when you use them on a spring under design, AND add to that, that the axle tube is already 1" larger dia and going to lower the rear .5" as it is, you get about 2" of rear lower then it was before the swap.

You have to make sure to use stock sized purches or you flatten the arch when you tighten down the Ubolts and you lower it with the hiegth of the purch.
                *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

You can always cut the saddle deeper into the perch and/or clip the ends shorter.
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                    You can always cut the saddle deeper into the perch and/or clip the ends shorter.
                    After doing all that, and spending double what stock purches cost, why even do the HD purches. I LOVE dans stuff,and recommend his covers to every cust that needs/wants a new cover, but in this case its just not wise to use his purches...
                    *Ricky Bobby* "I'm on FIRE!"... "I'm on FIRE!"...

Comment

Originally posted by ROBERTK View Post
                      The issue with Dans purches, are that they are Too HD! they are to long (anti wrap style) and to "tall". So when you use them on a spring under design, AND add to that, that the axle tube is already 1" larger dia and going to lower the rear .5" as it is, you get about 2" of rear lower then it was before the swap.

You have to make sure to use stock sized purches or you flatten the arch when you tighten down the Ubolts and you lower it with the hiegth of the purch.
                      I was replying to the 3/4 link swap that was being suggested by jimmyrig, that is why I was commenting on the heim joints. I would agree on the spring under, I have his perches on my Jeep and they are massive but then again I have mine in spring over.
                      Last edited by neilbyrd; 02-01-11, 09:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X