Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• engine backfire and loss of power

Went up bee canyon today and the farther I went up the worse my jeep ran. It sounded like the gas was popping in the headers and when I stepped on the gas it would backfire and sputter really bad. It got a little better in 4th gear. On the way back down it seemed to get a little better the farther down I got. I am running a 302 with a truck avenger carb. It always smelled a bit rich. I think the carb needs to be rejetted for the elevation. Can I get some input from you guys if I am on track or is there something I am missing.
    It's not leaking it's marking its territory.

You wouldn't think that a change in elevation would have that much effect on your carburation. Slightly richer ya but not enough to make it run that bad unless your at the edge already.

W/o a way to read the mixture your just guessing. I ran my pickup on the dyno a few years ago and my 600 Holley was very close out of the box. I tried an Edelbrock 1406 and we gave up trying to make that carb work.

Shop behind me gets $100 to put your stuff on the dyno and check hp, tq and Jetting.

Comment

I talked to holley and they told me I am about 2 sizes to big. I can smell it running to rich just idling in my driveway. So I think 10 feet was the straw that broke the camels back.
      It's not leaking it's marking its territory.

Comment

Working...
      X