Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No more spare tire.

What if when you get a hole in your side wall. You put a tube in it with a piece of (1/8")ABS plastic covering the hole so the tube doesn't blow out the hole. Do you guys think it would work?
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Years ago you could buy a boot to repair sidewall damage. You had to break the tire down and then get it off the rim to put a boot or a tube inside it.

I've done this with a hilift jack, screwdrivers,dish soap and it's no fun. I'd rather carry a spare.

Comment

Ccurtis, there's a hole-in-the-wall tire shop in Old Town Victorville that wiil patch sidewalls. It's victory Tire Shop and I think it's on the corner of C & 5th.
      SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
      MJR moderator
      MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
      Jeep Patrol Leader
      Reforestation Supervisor
      Licensed Ham - n6ujm
      Eagle Scout

Comment

Sounds logical. Don't know how crawlable it would be. I would get an old tire and test it out.
        It was like that when I got here.

Comment

This is just to get me off the trail and back to a spare tire. It's just like the hi-lift jack, I haven't used either in many years. So for weight reasons I want to remove both.
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Dick Cepek used to make a patch called a Baja "boot"

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
              This is just to get me off the trail and back to a spare tire. It's just like the hi-lift jack, I haven't used either in many years. So for weight reasons I want to remove both.
              I agree with you there Curtis never used my spare tire or used my high lift jack. Alot of weight savings to be had. I guess you can carry a tire repair kit and a bunch of plugs to get back to the actual spare. As far as a tube goes, that might work with one of those self vulcanizing patch kits that you have to light on fire. If you can get the tire off the rim a regular patch kit will work also for a while as long as its preped right. I use to repair truck and tractor tires back in the day.

Comment

I've fixed a 2" sidewall gash in a 35" TSL by 'sewing it up' with bailing wire and then plugged with about 30 plugs. we sat for a bit, letting the glue set up and then put about 12lbs in it, and drove home. We didn't even take the tire off the Cherokee- it was on the outside! So, if you have the imagination and time you don't need a spare. :devil:
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                  I've fixed a 2" sidewall gash in a 35" TSL by 'sewing it up' with bailing wire and then plugged with about 30 plugs. we sat for a bit, letting the glue set up and then put about 12lbs in it, and drove home. We didn't even take the tire off the Cherokee- it was on the outside! So, if you have the imagination and time you don't need a spare. :devil:
                  Don't know about pushing a needle through my Kelvar side walls but I think I must have 100 plugs on the jeep. The reason I though the tube would work is you seem to always brake the bead when you get a flat in the rocks. So it would be easy to put the tube and something between it and the hole. I think

Comment

You could stick something like a baja patch on the inside, with an inner tube you cannot really run very low air pressure though since it will rip the tire valve off.

Comment

i have plugged holes in sidewalls that you could put your hand into. i just stacked about 20 plugs next to each other and it held fine. A lot of folks freak out about a spare tire, but i have never seen it as an issue. I usually only bring a spare on trails like the Dusy where its just so far to get out. I also often leave the spare at camp.
                      It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

I have been told I wheel heavy. Meaning I carry spare fluids for everything, tools recovery gear etc. That is my choice because I feel the time I leave it at camp or home is when I will need it. That being said I also know a lot of people that wheel very light with just minimal recovery gear. If you go with the same group of friends each time work out a system of wheeling light. We all like to wheel with new folks but there is always a core group that develops. One carries the spare(if you are mostly Jeeps and similar tire sizes)one carries recovery and so on. I have given my spare to a fellow Toyota owner that went the minimalist route, just to get him off the trail.

Comment

Working...
                        X