Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulling an Offroad Trailer

After months of pulling coins out of the couch, I finally got some tires for my little offroad camping trailer. They are not an exact match for the Jeep (which has KM2's), but they are the same size and Big-O had them 50% off, so I got these Mickey Thomson Baja MTZ's. I kinda like them!

Their size helped the trailer ride pretty level behind the Jeep, and down the road it performed very well, tracking straight and true. I have a MAX Coupler from Adventure Trailers, and it totally rocks. The trailer is completely silent behind the Jeep, no clunking or jerking. Its just smooooootttthhhhhhh back there.

This was the first time with the trailer behind the Jeep, and I'm running stock Rubicon D44 gearing at 4:10... on 35" tires. I was a little concerned about being able to actually get up to freeway speed, but it did surprisingly well. The CHP has asked me to remind all you trailer folks to constantly obstruct as much traffic as possible and create a moving hazard wherever you go by limiting you to 55mph and the far right lane where everyone is trying to merge in and out of..yeah right. Well, I did my best to limit my speeds to 65mph, and the Jeep had no problem at all in the speed range, even in the twisty hilly bits along the 60 towards Palm Springs. However, my MPG dropped from 15 to about 12 mpg. Ugh!

Fortunately, not much wind last Saturday through Banning Pass, so that aspect remains untested.

On the dirt, the trailer was amazing. The 3,000 lbs torsen axle did bounce a bit, but with the tires at 12 psi it was not too bad. I was really impressed with how well it tracked behind me. Taking serpentine routes between rocks and so forth, it followed along exactly, never bumping into rocks, and always staying where my rear wheels had been. Sweet!

Here are a few photos:

Not quite making it up the sand hill:
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

I see a rubicon or dusy trip in the future??
    1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
      I see a rubicon or dusy trip in the future??
      A good driver could do it for sure...I'm not quite ready for that yet. I can't go backwards without jackknifing at the most inconvenient times! I am finally able to back the rig into my side yard parking space unassisted, but it takes me a few tries. Coming backwards down that sand hill (the dark sand is how far I made it), I jackknifed it brilliantly, right after that picture was taken. It was tricky getting the rest of the way down without turning the Jeep on its side. If I can figure out how to make the trailer go straight while reversing, then maybe I'm ready for one of those awesome Sierra Trails....but I don't relish the fuel bill getting there and back at 12 mpg!
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Backing up

I have pulled all different size of trailers behind all different vehicles. I started with a motorcycle trailer behind family station wagon when I was 13 and up to commercial big rig with 53'. A shorter trailer is alwasy harder to back up with as they react quicker to any input. A small light trailer like yours off-road also has terrain pushing it around and can be a handfull. The more you practice with it the better you will become at accounting for terrain while driving. Pretty soon will be like putting it in your side yard.

**Edit** Tires look good and I am glad it pulled nicely behind the Jeep. Looks like a nice trailer that will serve you well.

Comment

Working...
        X