Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1987 yj.computer problem.

I have a 1987 yj that has a 4.2 cid and had that computer ran carb.I had so much problems with it I bought a aftermarket weber 38/38.it got rid of all those vacaum lines.Everything went well until I did a tune up.Since i did the swap I had a miss that I couldnt figure out.I went to the manual and it said to disconnect the cuc (I believe thats what they called it)so I did that and the miss went away.the idle flattened out and it ran great for about 3 minutes.I had the idle set at 950rpm and after about 3 minutes the idle would drop to 500rpm.i would rev the motor to about 1300rpm let it idle down to 950rpm and after 3 minutes the idle would drop to 500 again.Ive been thinking about this for awhile and I was wondering if I needed to change the distibutor also because I CHANGE THE COMPUTER RAN CARB AND NOW THE COMP IS MESSING WITH THE TIMING TRYING TO COMPUSATE.This is the first jeep I ever owned and I dont know that much about it.Any help would be great.Thank you

Are those distributors in the Carb yj vacuum advanced or electric advance?

Comment

If it still does have a vacuum advance look at the pickup coil, the ignition module and do a search for the nutter bypass. The latter will bypass the add on computer that retards the ignition timing, for that all is needed is to cut a few wires coming from the ignition module.

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]Just my :2:

Go onto eBay, get yourself the Motorcraft 2100/2150 carb swap.

My 90 YJ had problem after problem. I swapped in this carb kit, bypassed the miles of vacuum hoses, and haven't looked back after getting it dialed in. (I installed an HEI distributor, and bypassed the electronic ignition as well.)

I'm planning to go to fuel injection soon (for me that means next 6 months). [/COLOR]
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by USMC 0369 View Post
          [COLOR="Sienna"]Just my :2:

Go onto eBay, get yourself the Motorcraft 2100/2150 carb swap.

My 90 YJ had problem after problem. I swapped in this carb kit, bypassed the miles of vacuum hoses, and haven't looked back after getting it dialed in. (I installed an HEI distributor, and bypassed the electronic ignition as well.)

I'm planning to go to fuel injection soon (for me that means next 6 months). [/COLOR]

Have there been any issues passing smog since you did that?

Comment

Originally posted by EricMCJ5 View Post
            Have there been any issues passing smog since you did that?
            [COLOR="Sienna"]CA smog? No way, never gonna happen for me because I ripped all that HP robbing crap out. (insert regret) That's why my Jeep is registered in Michigan, there are no smog laws there. However, the kit claims to be smog compliant, even for CA. For details on that, you'd have to ask the seller on eBay.

You can put the kit together yourself for cheaper, but I didn't want to search around myself as the scrap yards locally aren't that good.[/COLOR]
            [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
            Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Any modification to the emision system unless Air Resources Board approved is illegal period. The only escape is if an emision part is no longer available even through their parts locator service, then and only then can you get an exemption for thaqt part and either omit it or replace it with something that is not ARB approved.

Comment

thanks guys.Sorry its taking so long to get back.you know how life is.first,I live in wa.state and i dont have emissions here.do anything i want.second,i have vaccum distributor.i was working on it lastnight and didnt get anywhere.of course.i was looking at HEI but the computer is tied into ignition.Im still at a stand still.any more ideas or ?s please let me know.thanks again

Comment

I just got in from swapping out my distributor.I put in HEI. timed in in,Redialed in carb,set time,and so forth.ran like a champ.Im going to run it for a couple days and let you know whats up.Im thinking it will do very well.

Comment

Working...
                  X