Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wet, Uh, Hiney

Just a quick and generic question that I'm sure is a no brainer... Being as I'm not sure I figured I'd ask those that have experienced it.

My top seems to be allowing water to seep through it. My question is as I don't know the material, is this: Can regular Coleman Waterproofing be sprayed on this?

Thanks!
    USMC F&AM

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
    Just a quick and generic question that I'm sure is a no brainer... Being as I'm not sure I figured I'd ask those that have experienced it.

My top seems to be allowing water to seep through it. My question is as I don't know the material, is this: Can regular Coleman Waterproofing be sprayed on this?

Thanks!
    Sounds like you have a cavnas top. Canvas will leak eventually. My boat canvas leaked after a few months in the rain and sea spray. I have never used Coleman water proofing so I can't speak for it, but there is a marine product that works real good and lasts for a season or more. If you want I'll get the name of it for you. Been a while since I needed it.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

What's the name of that stuff you've used? If Noah will let me park in his Yacht for a bit to let the top dry out I'm gonna try to spray it ASAP... I don't mind being wet, cold, hot, or dry... But something about having a cold wet diaper feeling just isn't so rad.
      USMC F&AM

Comment

Before I bought a new top I alwayse carried a trash bag in the jeep to sit on if the seat got wet. I went thru a whole winter with the bini-top and duster.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I wonder if scotchguard will work.

Comment

Originally posted by TipsE-Z View Post
            What's the name of that stuff you've used? If Noah will let me park in his Yacht for a bit to let the top dry out I'm gonna try to spray it ASAP... I don't mind being wet, cold, hot, or dry... But something about having a cold wet diaper feeling just isn't so rad.

Here is the stuff:
            http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/74-81900.htm

Get it at West Marine. There are stores all over the LA area.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Ali Mansour once said to Rick Pewe', "I'd rather have a wet butt than an Escalade."
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

My 2000 was leaking straight thru the softtop fabric during the last storm in LA. In all fairness that was a mutha of a downpour. Jeep got primo garage spot eventually and beemer was evicted to the storm. My guess is socal sun takes its toll on the softtop fabric.
                Sounds like you need a new softtop or double-up on the depends.

Comment

One of my friends posted on Facebook that his floor boards were full of water. Understandable given the amount of rain we have had. What baffled me though is one of his other Jeep friends told him to drill holes to drain the water. I know I don't own a Jeep but last time I looked they had drain holes with black rubber plugs. So to me that would have been the equivalant of drilling a hole next to your oil drain plug.

OP- I hope that waterproof sealant will fix the leak and that your top is not beyond help.

Comment

I keep the drain plugs out on mine, which has proved to be a mistake sometimes... Being as I am recently unemployed I went for the cheaper option of using Coleman Camp Dry. I used about a can and a half on the whole top. Thus far with today's rain I've had no leaks. The Colemans has seemingly pulled all of the stains in the top out and made it look like new again. I will post up how it does, and looks, after this storm passes.
                    USMC F&AM

Comment

shopv vac

My YJ has drain plugs. Amazing, if you leave them out -- how much the cold wind blowing thru gets at you. But, before he drills holes -- just hook the top of a shop vac up and suk out the water. Even if he drills holes--hes gonna still have puddles

Comment

Far as I know all Jeeps have drain plugs. I can't speak for JKs but I know my CJ did, my YJ does, and my dad's TJ does... I used Coleman's Camp Dry to do my top since I'm out of work and on a budget. It actually seems to have done a tremendous job and has actually seemed to clean my top as well making it all black again, instead of black with mud stains.
                        USMC F&AM

Comment

I'm pretty sure that even the JKs do, it's probably just buried under the carpet like the TJs. One of the things they advertise with the "refined interior" of the JK was that you could "still hose it out". I would think that means there's still drain plugs to pull.
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

In my opinion (no offense to anyone) Jeeps with carpet fall into the "Grocery Getter" category... My Jeep is in the "Beverage Runner" group and well, anything that's locked and loaded falls into the "Jeep" group... I hope to grow up someday soon into a real Jeep
                            USMC F&AM

Comment

2wd

I remember test driving a new jeep in the mid 90's - 2WD. Guess carpet would go nice in that

Comment

Working...
                              X