Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hood vents

Thoughts on hood vents to keep under hood temps down.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Nothing wrong with it Curtis opening up the fender wells gets rid of quite a bit of heat also

Comment

They look pretty sweet!
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Art I took the flaps off the fender wells. But I still have heat traped under the hood. So I think if I put louvers in the hood. The heat can get out the top.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Follow the pattern of the AEV heat reduction hood

Comment

I put in a set of hood vents from Genright, and they make a big difference.
            Engine temp does not go down as it is thermostatically controlled, but overall it made a big change with heat coming through the engine into the tranny and then into the cab from the floor underneath.
            06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
            07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

You may find this useful. http://www.oman4x4.com/hoodvents.htm#theory
              Build it right the first time.

Comment

Curtis,

I put on the Genrite Hood Vents on my YJ hood. I could not not tell any difference in temperature. Even with my T&T Customs Tube Fenders that are open sides to the engine compartment I don't see any difference. I did not stick a temp gauge under the hood, but the radiator still bubbles when I park and there is no difference in running temp. Just my 2cents.

Josh, cool article.

Mitch
                Last edited by Mitch; 11-18-10, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Mitch check your radiator cap. Mine did that and it was the little vent in it. The old cap was almost new,but the brand new cap fixed it. Josh thanks for the article also.

Art AEV used to make a hood for the tj that was real cool but they stopped.

Comment

Ive been considering hood vents for two reasons really and neither have anything to do with overheating.

I have two dents almost exactly opposite sides of the hood at the prime location that most jeepers actually put the vents on.

I want to them where my york OBA sits. That thing gets HOT.....

Ive taken a sawzall to alot of my jeep, but for some reason the hood just keeps me at bay.
                    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

I don't have a heating problem with the engine. It's the heat that builds up when your in the rocks for a long time.

Comment

Louvers are certainly not for engine temp control. A properly operating/ maintained cooling system is the only thing that will help that. As Curtis is saying they are for lowering engine compartment temps. Good luck with the sawzall... A cut off wheel works nicely if you have one. Here is a write up I sent Stu from my louver install. Lots of options and possibilities, just depends how much a guy or gal wants to spend.
                        http://stu-offroad.com/body/hoodpanel/hoodpanel-1.htm
                        Build it right the first time.

Comment

Was talking with Fred about this in the morning, both pretty much agree that loosing a good chunk of the inner fenders is more effective. Even though head rises, when running the engine fan and driving air pushes the heat back not up. So the more air you let out going with the air flow, the better of you are. Having the louvres will help a bit, but I think the other way is more effective. Off course doing both is even better.

Comment

1.Today I took my hood loose at the hinges. I put a block of wood under the back so there was a gap. There was lots of hot air coming out the back of the hood.

2.The last run we did with mike, I went around a felt the hot air coming out of Mitch's and Josh's hood louvers.

3.So I still think with the wheel wells cut open there is heat still traped between the fenders and the top of the hood. But I'm thinking of drilling some 4.5 inch holes in the wheel wells plus the louvers

Comment

lets not forget, heat rises. and yes i'll be using a pneumatic cut off wheel. i was awake for 27 hrs when i said sawzall. my bad...
                              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Working...
                              X