Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tow Bar help and ?

I'm taking next week off work and heading to the river house for some offroading and shooting.

I want to tow the Jeep out there instead of driving two vehicles.

So what is a good tow bar to use? Also I need to get it before Monday so I need something that will be here if I have to order one.

Any advice or opinions will be greatlly apprectiated!

I have the harbor freight one. I also have the brackets that attach it to the d-ring mounts on my front bumper. You are welcome to it if you would like. I am in oceanside. you really should have some kind of auxiliary breaking to flat tow also. What kind of tow vehicle will you be using?
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Thanks for the offer I will let you know.

It will be a Chevy Tahoe as the tow vehicle.

What do you mean by auxiliary brake assit?

Comment

One of these(http://www.brakebuddy.com/) or something similar. You need it to be legal in Ca. But with your Tahoe you will probably get away with not using one. Its a bit more dangerous though. Your Tahoe will be fine for normal driving but will suffer greatly under a panic stop. And just like any other towing operation keep an eye on your transmission temp.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

With this short notice you'll probably have to go to a RV dealer to purchase one and have it installed.
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Just get the harbor freight one and their adjustable hitch and you are set. Drill 4 1/2 holes in the bumper mount their brackets use their cheapo magnetic lights and go do some wheelin at the river

Comment

There is no law about having to have brakes on a MOTOR VEHICLE being towed behind an another.
              Those specs. are for TRAILERS......
              Don't believe me.....Call the CHP.
              BTW, IF you are towing a C.J. pull the rear driveshaft to save your t/case output shaft bearing.
              Respectfully,
              LG
              Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

If your vehicle's braking system was not designed to stop an extra 4000 pounds then COMMON SENSE dictates that you add an auxiliary braking system.

Unfortunately common sense is not all that common.
                Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

I had a 96 Dodge 2500 with full tow package and flat towed a 71 FJ40 a few times with it. I will say that my truck had the power to take off and run but it would get squirrelly under braking. This becomes more hazardous the closer in weight the vehicles are to each other.

As previously posted, pull rear drive shaft and also get a brake buddy or similar.

Comment

We tow our jeep with out Tahoe, and the Tahoe gets squirlly in the corners. It feels like the jeep wants to push the back end of the Tahoe around a corner, so really slow down for the corners.

A brake buddy in the jeep would be smart, even though not required.
                    I have been wanting to get one, but just not picked it up yet.

Todd
                    Proud to be an American! Sharetrails/BRC President.
                    Sponsors: BFG, Raceline, Advance Adapters, Currie, T&T Customs.

Comment

Working...
                    X