Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 4.88 Gears OK?

I have a 92 YJ with a 4 banger. I run 33 inch BFG mud terrain tires and have lockers front and rear. I want to upgrade my gears to 4.88s but my mechanic tells me that the pinion is too small in that ratio and much easier to break. Does anyone have any experience with 4.88s on the trail? Also, how are they on the freeway? I would also like to know what your RPMs are at 65.

Thanks for your advice.

paul Tyler
    Last edited by paultyler; 05-11-04, 07:40 AM.
    92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Paul,
    I have 4.88's in my TJ and have had no problems. You will be fine. I have an auto and it kinda sucks on the freeway, but if you have a stick it should be fine. They are AWESOME on the rocks, though!!!!

[COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

i also run the 4.88 gears with no problem. they will be great with your 4 banger and 33" tires.
      i also run the 4.88 gears on 35" tires, with the extreme low gearing of an atlas on the rocks. no problems yet....
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Ask your mechanic if he has first-hand experience on 4.88 gears breaking or more likely, if he is just passing on hearsay... more likely the latter. There are a whole bunch of us running 4.88 gears in our TJs without problem.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

That's true Jerry, but he is running a D35. It does have a tendancy to be a little weak on the D35.
          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

My local shop told me the same thing. That in the Dana 35, the pinion is rather small and weak. I followed his recommendation and went with 4.56's. If you've got a 44 its a different story, but with the 35 its a pretty weak pinion.
            It's not the size of your tire, it's how you place it!

'98 wrangler 4" superlift rockrunner kit, adjustable trackbar, 33's, rear EZlocker,
            and Kargomaster rack.

Comment

True on the smaller diameter pinion gear but if anyone has posted about a failed 4.88 D35 pinion gear, I've yet to read or hear about it. Theory is great, but whether or not they actually fail in use is the real question. So far as I know, they don't have a history of failing. Certainly not like the Dana 35c's axle shaft does.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

4.88 Dana 30

Would like to revive this question. Any experience with a high pinion 30 and 4.88's?

Comment

Originally posted by jonesbones View Post
                  Would like to revive this question. Any experience with a high pinion 30 and 4.88's?
                  I've been running 4.88's in my HP30 and HP9" for two seasons now without a glitch.

Urban leagend I tell ya

Comment

I run low pinion 30 and 44
                    have never had an issue with my 4.88s
                    censored for having an opinion

Comment

I went ahead and got the 4.88s and the gearing is perfect for 33s.
                      92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Working...
                      X