Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CA Registration question for crashed TJ

Recently acquired a TJ that was in a front end crash but still has clean title, frame needs work or to be replaced....i have a friend who has a clean frame, can i just swap everything over to the good frame and register this thing, or will I have issues? Also the previous owner started parting the thing out and sold the dash with the vin plate attached.

Interested in any input...thank you.
    95 YJ
    2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

As far as I know, that plate is all the DMV cares about. If the dash plate doesn't match the firewall, it probably won't fly. Good luck.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

I think if you wanna go this route you may wanna look at the california dmv website and look up "specially constructed vehicles". This may be a pain and as far as I remember there is only a certain number allowed each year so it may be easier to choose a different route. Good luck.
      I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

The vin # is on the body. You can just swap everything over and use your current vin and tags.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
          The vin # is on the body. You can just swap everything over and use your current vin and tags.
          thanks...i like this post a lot better. i dont suppose anyone is going to go look at the vin on the frame right? ive never registered any vehicle and had anyone even come out and check the vin on the dash so i doubt anyone would check the frame.

im going to try to recover the vin plate from the guy i got the jeep from, maybe he can put me in contact with the guy who bought the dash off him, but my guess is its long gone.
          95 YJ
          2.5L Low Output, 4.5" RE, 35" KM2's, D30 Aussie, 8.8, TeraLow 4:1, Outdoor Logic custom fab - Cage, Tube fenders, Sliders, and more.

Comment

There are hidden vins. on the vic.
            You need to call and talk to Ca. DMV and maybe even the CHP.
            This is NOT going to be fun or easy.
            Good luck!
            Respectfully,
            LG
            Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

The vin is stamped on the rh side of the frame between the 2 center body mounts. There is a tag with a vin number on it under the front grille right next to the frame supportfor the grille. Also there are several stickers with the vin number on it on the tub on the rear inner fenders and some other places

Comment

so should i even bother swapping the good frame in or will it just be too much trouble to register it later?

out of curiosity who even looks that the vin on the frame to make sure it matches anything else?
                95 YJ

Comment

Talk to DMV and CHP and then and only then will YOU know.
                  DMV may want an LEO to confirm the VIN, BTW.
                  Respectfully,
                  LG
                  Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

good advice...i hate dealing with the DMV, i guess i have no choice.
                    95 YJ

Comment

There are hidden vins under and on the body and frame only the chp know about. But I am sure they can be found.

Comment

You can get the jeep inspected, show them your paper work and they will tag the frame with a new (same) vin...
                        Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                        Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
                        www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

This is not that big of a deal. This stuff is done all the time. if you have any doubts, talk to the dmv, they will tell you exactly what you need to do.
                          1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Just register it as is and then when you finish with the DMV start swaping things?
                            "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

Working...
                            X