Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: axle vent hose

I have a rear dana 44 that tends to spew gear oil out, any ideas what would cause this? I still have the stock diff cover so I don't think it is possible to overfill it. Any ideas will help.

If you have an ARB you did not cut the slots for the oil to drain back to the diff, or if they did the slot isn't big enough now that it gets colder

Comment

The oil is coming out of the axle tube vent hose. What are the slots that your talking about? I do have an ARB that Tri County gear put in, but I don't know about cutting the slots.

Comment

It's a known problem with ARB's that they need an oil drain slot added on the axle vent tube side of the vent housing. They most likely cut one but it's not big enough with the cooler weather at night in the desert.
        Pretty sure you had no problem with it all summer long.
        Will see if I can find a picture of what I am talking about

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeTJ View Post
          The oil is coming out of the axle tube vent hose. What are the slots that your talking about? I do have an ARB that Tri County gear put in, but I don't know about cutting the slots.
          Take it back to Jason and have him fix it. Richard can install a baffle inside the case in front of the vent tube hole, and install a vent plug with a smaller opening. I had the same issue, and this fixed my problem.
          Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Originally posted by ECV Jeep View Post
            Take it back to Jason and have him fix it. Richard can install a baffle inside the case in front of the vent tube hole, and install a vent plug with a smaller opening. I had the same issue, and this fixed my problem.
            There is another issue that makes the vent blow oil and that is a set of seal o-rings on the manifold getting worn or nicked. When the ARB is pressurized some air leaks past the o-rings and escapes through the vent bringing some oil along with it. But those notches need to be in there for sure.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Working...
            X