Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i want 35's on a daily...?

I've got an 01 TJ Sport, auto, stock motor. Right now with 33's I get avg 13mpg both highway and city with bad O2 sensor readings. It sucks but I deal with it. I want to run 35's, but don't want to take a nasty hit in fuel mileage. Here is what I want to do...

- 5spd swap (but which one?)
    - 4.56 gears (I have D44)
    - intake/full exhaust
    - replace O2 sensors

Is this going to do anything to my mileage? If it stays the same as I get now then that's fine, but is there anything I can do to squeeze even just a couple more mpg out of it? I've heard of people getting better mileage with similar setups.

I've been wanting to get rid of the auto, finally have the funding to do that and then some, so that's why I'm looking at getting all this done before it gets cold here.
    Yellow 01 Sport
    4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

My jeep is a daily driver on 35's. I have the factory rubicon drive train w/ a 5spd stick. The axle gears are 4:11's. It's not built for speed, but it goes real good. i only have to down shift for passing or steep hills. I use 5th gear all day. I get about 200 miles out of a tank of gas. good luck
    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

A jeep is as aerodynamic as a brick and as heavy as a full size truck. Gas mileage with a jeep is a joke. I personally think you better off buying a pos 30mpg+ ricer for $1500 to comute with instead of wasting more money trying to get an extra 1 mpg out of your jeep. My fullsize 7000# duramax deisel get better fuel mileage than my jeep.

Comment

well, i've got a 97 tj sport 5spd with 35's and 4 56 gearing. of course my engine may be a bit more tired than yours (120,000 miles). I have about 400 extra lbs of add on's and I get a whopping 13mpg or so. stock is about 17 real world so dont expect to get anything over 15-16 mpg. we dont buy our jeeps to get good mpg. just the way they are. That's why I have a DD compact car and my jeep sits in the garage.

NOTE: and for you to get 13mpg out of 33's, you must drive like a bat out of hell. try being softer on the gas during green light take off's and hypermiling when you can. believe me with a tank like what we have, those habits pay off.
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Check with snydercj7, he has an 06' Rubi and runs 35's with 5:13 gears. I know it works good for him!

Scott
          "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

A jeep is as aerodynamic as a brick and as heavy as a full size truck. Gas mileage with a jeep is a joke. I personally think you better off buying a pos 30mpg+ ricer for $1500 to comute with instead of wasting more money trying to get an extra 1 mpg out of your jeep. My fullsize 7000# duramax deisel get better fuel mileage than my jeep.
            What he said.
            I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Agreed Jeeperator & Chuck!

I run 33's on my '93 and with a 2.5L and re-geared with 4 88's it still a brick! Adding 3 or 4 hundred pounds (more or less) of aftermarket stuff onto it and trail gear in the back only complicates the equation further. I've come to the conclusion that it's no longer a daily driver and I have a small commuter car for the daily stuff.

While my little KIA is not as fun as driving my Jeep around all day, I like the fact it save's wear & tear on the Jeep an that it sips gas!

Scott
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                NOTE: and for you to get 13mpg out of 33's, you must drive like a bat out of hell. try being softer on the gas during green light take off's and hypermiling when you can. believe me with a tank like what we have, those habits pay off.
                Actually I baby it like crazy.

And I'm not doing the work just to try and get better mileage, but I dont want to see it drop like crazy. 13mpg is bad enough, even less would cause me to just not take it anywhere.
                Yellow 01 Sport
                4" Pro Comp lift | D44 | 33x12.5 Duratracs

Comment

Are you up and down mountain roads all the time?
                  >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                  ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                  X