Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering gear box

Has Anybody used a bone yard heavy duty steering gear box that will fit the 2003-2006 Wrangles, that's the Mercedes one, As some of us know they are pretty much junk with 35" tires. Ya I know you can go to Kragen whatever, but they use the same box only now with Chinese parts & with a lifetime of replacing the unit for free!!! Then there are the $400.00 & up models that are exactly that too expensive. Well I used to know the bone yards as I have a '69 CJ5 & that's where we got our parts, just trying to get a little heads up on a H. D. steering gear box.
    Thanks, Snoopy
    davtel@dslextreme.com

One of the more common swaps is the Dodge Durango box. They are only about $30 at the yard.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Ya I saw that article but I thought its for the 97/2002 Wrangles???

Comment

Well if you need one I have a 2003 steering box of a wrangler, jeep had only 40.000 miles on it.
        No leaks no play give me a pm

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
          One of the more common swaps is the Dodge Durango box. They are only about $30 at the yard.
          Where? I paid $100 with a 30 day gaurantee and it bolted right in. Unless you mean a pick a part type yard which you almost never see a durango lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            Where? I paid $100 with a 30 day gaurantee and it bolted right in. Unless you mean a pick a part type yard which you almost never see a durango lol.
            Thats what I mean. I try to never miss a half price day either. $15 axle shafts are hard to pass up.
            Those left standing
            Will make millions
            Writing books on ways
            It should have been
            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

not to hi jack a thread or nothing but on an xj alot of vendors such ans tnt and rustys offer a uprade to go to a yj box because of its 4 point mounting system. so my question is why go to a durango box it only has 3. just curios to know. ive heard of the durango swap but why is it better, i thought the jeep boxes had better turning radiuses.

Comment

Bigger gears make it better for use with bigger tires I guess.My durango box works good but the stocker didnt like the 35" tires and blew a seal shortly after putting them on. Really isn't much a diference in turning radius either at least not noticeable.

Comment

Durango gear box

Thanks to everyone for their input. But I REALLY DIDN'T GET A ANSWER to my question. "A better bone yard box for the 2003/2006 Wranglers", I already knew about the Durango up grade for the '97/2002 Wranglers, & it wont work on 2003 & newer TJ's.
                  Thanks, Snoopy

/l ,[____],
                  l---L –OlllllllO-
                  ()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Comment

Working...
                  X