Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the Kelly Bluebook for that '85? $5K for an old '85 Laredo seems pretty darned high, I see '97 TJs going for close to that.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

The problem in Oregon is that within 6 months either way of deer season, people selling Jeeps are convinced that they are solid gold. They do have a special value there though.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

6sodYJ - we are blessed with paying an unfortunate premium here for really any Jeep. It's worse if it's a 4.0L or higher. Also pay a premium for a hardtop. It would be cheaper for me to find one in SoCal and bring it back.

Comment

Sounds like its time for a trip to SoCal. I have also found a grate many rust free reliable Jeeps in Pheonix for cheap cheap.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I have one friend in SoCal that is on this board. His non jeep life is very busy these days and I do my best not to interfere.

I've learned from reading threads here, that buying a Jeep is not like buying any other used car. With so many mods - there is a huge learning curve. At present,
            I'm not sure I would know a lemon from something pristine and it would be hard for just me to make an assessment. Locally - I do have a good friend that knows enough that he can see through most bs. Price knowledge may be his weakness though.

One thing I have learned is that Jeep folks are hugely helpful to impart knowledge to a complete newb like myself. Perhaps one day - I'll be able to give back these favors to someone in position. Thank you everyone. Keep the advice coming as I'm all ears.

Comment

Originally posted by Singletracker View Post
              At present,
              I'm not sure I would know a lemon from something pristine and it would be hard for just me to make an assessment.
              In that case, I may have just the Jeep for you! :devil:
              holes = cowbell

Comment

You know what they say: If sounds too good to be true...

Comment

I have owned a 2000 tj with the 2.5 for 7 years now I got it for the price at the time most people in va wanted over 8k for the 4.0L with over 200k I got mine with 150k on it for 3k sure it dosent have the power like a 4.0 does but for what u need it would work fine the things I love most about the 2.5 is how much easier it is to work on and parts coast half as much. I hade to buy a new engine for mine and a new rebuilt engine with a 3 year warranty was 1k so I had 4k in my jeep and had a new engine I use my jeep all the time and for everything and it does great just doesn't get their as fast

Comment

Because it has only been mentioned once in this thread I assume you are looking strictly for a Wrangler style, proper jeep. But just to reiterate, if budget is a word being tossed around and pre 2000 than an xj with a 4.0 is attainable for under 4k in most cases. Also it being needed as a reliable 4x4 for the wife, highway runner, and mild trail hopper is true to the xj's original purpose. The heater situation should never be overlooked either. I've lived in Anchorage so I know winters in the negatives. On that note, on any jeep over 100k miles ask if the heater core core has ever been replaced, that is a bear of a job. Unfortunately I have no experience with the 2.5's so can't say anything other than I've seen people take em to 300k just like any 4.0.

Comment

Working...
                    X