X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 Dead & 12 Injured in Lucern Valley Offroad Race

This sucks...

(from LA Times)...

8 dead, 12 hurt as vehicle plows into crowd at race in San Bernardino County

Officials confirmed that eight people died and 12 were injured in the Lucerne Valley area Saturday when the driver of an off-road vehicle plowed into a crowd.

Authorities believe the driver lost control of the vehicle during some type of race at a dry lake bed.

Fire dispatch supervisor Tim Franke said the accident was reported at 7:48 p.m. at Soggy Dry Lake Bed, a popular off-road spot. "It's unknown what kind of event was going on out there," he said.

Franke said at least four people were seriously injured and were taken by air ambulance to nearby trauma centers.

He said it was not yet clear how the accident occurred or whether the driver was among the injured or dead.

The Lucerne Valley and surrounding desert areas is considered a mecca for off-road racing, with numerous pro races through the year. Videos of previous races show vehicles speeding by rows of spectators, with thin barriers between them.

--Mitchell Landsberg in Los Angeles and Phil Willon in San Bernardino County
    '91 YJ 4.O, Auto, 4.5" Deaver, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's, D60 w/ Detroit, D30 w/ TrueTrac, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE, Belly Up Skid, LED's...

This was a terrible and tragic accident.....

But what disturbs me even more than working this call last night from the dispatch center was the fact that the news reported that after it happened, the crowd actually turned on the driver of the race truck.....throwing rocks at him and trying to chase him down. Not sure what was going through those peoples heads out there but, it amazes me that anyone could think this driver would intentionally try and hurt anyone!

My heart goes out to the families who lost loved ones and to those who were injured last night.

Scott
    Last edited by avjeepfreek; 08-15-10, 09:16 AM.
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

An absolutely tragic accident...

Unfortunately we will now see some government or special interest turd try to regulate, oversee, monitor, and or even ban the sport...

I am still looking for the limit of human stupidity! Going after the driver shows that we have not even come close the limit of human stupidity!
      Regards,
      Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Very sad and unfortunate. My thoughts and prayers to the families.

Comment

It happend right in front of us

Originally posted by mybrokenjeep View Post
          An absolutely tragic accident...

Unfortunately we will now see some government or special interest turd try to regulate, oversee, monitor, and or even ban the sport...

I am still looking for the limit of human stupidity! Going after the driver shows that we have not even come close the limit of human stupidity!
          Agreed,.. me and Dennis GP4PLAY were both right next to it when it happend. Another 60 to 80 feet down track on the same side and we could have been in the middle of it. One medical chopper after another as well as other emergency personnel.
          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

california 200 race deaths

The truck lost control after a jump and crashed into the crowd. The driver get's out and had to run away because the crowd started throwing rocks at him. The news report I read stated there were no barriers to "protect" the bystanders.
            I feel bad for the driver and the people who were hurt but, this is a race, in the desert, not in a stadium. It reminds me of googleing "rally crash's" and seeing a bunch of spectators standing on the outside of a turn and getting wiped out when the car loses control.
            Last year I met a guy who was a past president of SCCA. We were talking about rally and he stated soon rally was going to have to go to mexico because they have an issue getting event insurance. The lawsuits were getting out of hand and the insurance companies raised the rates every year.
            SIGH!

Scott
            Last edited by Zoobi; 08-15-10, 12:22 PM. Reason: double post
            Come to the dark side.....
            We have Cookies!

Comment

OH!! thanks to who ever moved mine here, didnt see the previous post.
              Come to the dark side.....
              We have Cookies!

Comment

Sad Day for Offroad Racing

The track area where this happened was lined with a couple hundred people,families with kids like us were there.The truck went over a spot that is known for big air jumps and lost control and rolled into the crowd.The responce from emergency people was great for where this happened,there were at least 10 ambulances,10 fire rescue rigs on site,and we counted 10 helicopters leaving with the the injured.I was waiting for Matt to catch up with us before going to this spot to watch the race,because of that we were not there to.Was sorry to hear of the mob that went after the driver,thats just stupid drunk fools that should have been trying to help.Our prayers go out to the injured and families of those who lost loved ones.
                Dennis and Tammy
                Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Tragedy in Mojave.

Im sure everyone has heard it already, but it's not a good day for both the survivors and the families of those who didn't survive.

Nor is it a good day for the off-roading community as a whole. Unsanctioned events like that only make offroading of any type look bad. I send out my prayers to those recovering and to those who did not.
                  1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Our prayers go out to the families who lost loved ones. This is very sad.
                    Best, Maxwell Britton
                    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
                      The track area where this happened was lined with a couple hundred people,families with kids like us were there.The truck went over a spot that is known for big air jumps and lost control and rolled into the crowd.The responce from emergency people was great for where this happened,there were at least 10 ambulances,10 fire rescue rigs on site,and we counted 10 helicopters leaving with the the injured.I was waiting for Matt to catch up with us before going to this spot to watch the race,because of that we were not there to.Was sorry to hear of the mob that went after the driver,thats just stupid drunk fools that should have been trying to help.Our prayers go out to the injured and families of those who lost loved ones.
                      X2,.... we could have been in the middle of it.
                      "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Chris and I were in shock when we heard the news last night.

We are deeply saddened and pray for the injured and the families of those who lost dear ones. Our condolences.

We are greatly concerned on how this is going to affect all racing that is done on BLM Land, not just off road racing. We pray that the powers that be can see this as what it is, the risk you take in attending this type of event.

Tam
                        2002 TJ on 35s a bit of lift with some stuff
                        Rock-ItMan all the way around

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                          Im sure everyone has heard it already, but it's not a good day for both the survivors and the families of those who didn't survive.

Nor is it a good day for the off-roading community as a whole. Unsanctioned events like that only make offroading of any type look bad. I send out my prayers to those recovering and to those who did not.
                          It wasn't an unsactioned event, it was an MDR night race. My son knows alot of the participants and heard he maybe broke a trailing arm or tie rod causing him to lose control. I'm sure that will probably put an end to off road racing in the Mojave desert.

Comment

News this morning reported stated spectators throwing rocks and chasing the driver of the truck. Eye-witnesses, including a pro-photographer, was asked about that, and they stated they didn't see that happen (the rock throwing).

Its not human stupidity. If I saw my daughter laying there, dead, I sure as hell would lash out at SOMEONE. Anger is one of the "coping" methods of dealing with death.

My prayers to the family's of the victims and survivors of this crash.

Comment

I know the spot very well. We quit going there a few years ago. People there acturally get in the middle of the track to wave the drivers on. For some reason, they turn really stupid there. My son has another remote view location where no one is around. I have another location where there's always some good carnage but now one is around and it's safe to watch....
                              SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                              MJR moderator
                              MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                              Jeep Patrol Leader
                              Reforestation Supervisor
                              Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                              Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                              X