Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Rear spring conversion

I need some help, I read some of the old threads but didn't find an answer. I have a 79 CJ-7, I'm installing dana 44's out of a Scout II. I want to move the rear axle back about 3". If I get a set of XJ rear springs that have 4" of lift mounted in the correct position, will it move the axle back. If so, how much. I have been told to reverse them to move it back 5", I don't want to go back that far.

well why not simply try and measure? hook the springs to the front bracket, set the axle on the center bolts support the back of the spring with a wood block or beam and load the supension up/ jack it up till it supports the weight of the jeep if you see what you like make rear shackle mounts, if not flip the springs around.
    Or do some math, if the springs mounted backwards give you 5" of stretch how far of center are the center bolts? if they are 2" of center then the other way around should give you about 3" of stretch.

Comment

Thanks, but I don't have a set of springs to measure. I was hoping someone already had the measurements. I guess I'll make a trip to the salvage yards until I find an XJ.

Comment

I have looked at using the XJ springs on my YJ. I think they move your axle back 6.5 inchs. You could alwayse move the spring main eye mount forward an inch and a half.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"]:hijack: Sorry. But you guys have me confused now.

Not that I'm planning this project at all.

Okay, if the XJ springs put the axle 5~6 inches rearward...wont that move your rear shackle back too? Are the springs the same length overall? Sounds to me that the XJ spring is longer, which means he'll have to move his main spring eye (front) forwards to keep the springs from kicking out back.

If you know me, then you know I need someone to draw me a picture.[/COLOR]
          [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
          Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Nick the rear shackle gets moved right behind the end of the rear of the frame

Comment

The rear spring is longer and I understand that the rear spring eye will be moved past the bumper. I plan to use the Blue Torch Fab rear bumper. My plan is to move the axle back 3", I have heard that reversing the spring will move the axle back 5". I know on the CJ spring, the measurement from the front eye to the center alignment pin is 23.5". What I don't know is what is the measurement of an XJ spring from the front eye to the center alignment pin. I was trying not to move the front spring mount on the Jeep. If the XJ spring will not meet my needs, I will have a set of springs made with the pin where I need it.

Comment

The XJ spring are the same leangeth from the centering pin to the shackel as the CJ springs but from the centring pin to the main eye they are six inches longer. You can use the Blue Torche Fab kit or you can make your own bumper and weld it to the frame rails and use the Ruff Stuff "way back shackel hangers".

They get attached to the rear bumper like this.
                Those left standing
                Will make millions
                Writing books on ways
                It should have been
                -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

[COLOR="Sienna"] Okay, I'm tracking now. I sometimes need a visual to get it through my thick skull. [/COLOR]
                  [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                  Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                  X