Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny stuck in first gear`

My turbo 4oo is stuck in 1st gear. I have reverse and 1st. Coming back from the Dusy in 1st, and playing with the shifter, it finally shifted. Downshifted to 2nd from 3rd and everything felt fine. Stopped to let the kids catch up, and it went back to 1st and wouldn't shift again. Any tranny experts out there? or call 760-220-7113 Kevin.
    Last edited by 1 Bad F N Z; 08-08-10, 02:17 PM. Reason: add

GM TH 400's will stick in 1st if the vacuum tube comes off the servo. Check both ends of the tube for fit.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Comment

They will up shift when the vacuum hose comes off, but will be a very late shift. You really have to wind the engine out. On the bright side a TH400 is easy to rebuilt

Comment

Check your oil level...Does it smell burned is it brown.
        Then ALL the vac. lines to the servo.
        Good luck,
        LG
        Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Just got home, it shifted one time, went to third, downshifted to second and it felt normal. Then like a fool I stopped and waited for the kids to catch up, then it was stuck in first again. Maybe I'll get a chance to look at it this weekend, after I get Carlos XJ back together again, Kevin.

Comment

Well this has been an learning experience. Turns out that the governor in the back of the tranny has a fiber gear on it and the teeth were worn off. Replaced the gear, now I just have to get it back together. The governor controls when the tranny shifts, and the vacume modual controls how it will shift, depending on vacume pressure. Simple fix, Kevin.

Comment

Working...
            X