Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about a YJ

My buddy has a 89 YJ with the 258 in it. He is getting a lot of oil into the air filer assembly (PCV Valve Filter). PCV is good (rattles when shook). What would be causing this?

Thanks

Ok...second question. His oil pressure gauge pegs high immediately...even before engine is started. So I'm assuming oil pressure sending unit is bad, thus grounding out.

When we tried to unplug it, it didn't want to. I don't wanna force something and break it. Am I missing something!?

Thanks again.

Comment

blowby or the vacuum port on the carb/ intake manifold is partially or completely clogged. Another fix to limit the amount of oily air blowing on to the airfilter is to get a breather from a 79/early 80's area dodge v8 engine and stick that in the valve cover and run the hose from there to the airfilter. Back in time I found that to be a great fix for Chevy engines that spewed oil all over the air filter elements

Comment

there is an old technical service bulletin on that engine for the pcv breather.

check his pcv hose from the front of the valve cover to the carb, if it is the original it will have a check valve in it. when the check valve fails it will stick closed.

the fix and update is to remove the check valve from the hose and run a one piece hose.

for the oil pressure pegging issue, unplug the sender should fall to 0, ground the plug against the block should peg to max. if that happens the gauge is good, replace the sender. If that does not happen, check to see if the wire is grounded anywhere, if wire is good gauge is the issue.
        "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Steve,

I'll post a picture of the "oil trap" that my mechanic set up on my 88 YJ. Both of my 258's spewed oil into the air cleaner assemblies. This fixed it for me. Basically it has an in line oil trap like those with an air compressor. I dump oil from the trap every third trip or so. Now the inside of the air cleaner stays nice and clean.

Mitch

Comment

Mitch...a pic would be great.

Comment

Working...
            X