Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Deal?

is this a good deal. 1500 87 cherokee chief. 4.0L, 156000mi, 5sp, 4 door. interior is great, headliner a little saggy, body looks good too.
    B R E T T
    87 XJ 3" lift, 31s-thats all thats worth mentioning

Sounds decent, how does it run? I assume it's 4x4. We paid that for a 90 with a 4"lift from family and it needed steering work and then some.
    “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
    -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

Thats a pretty good price. The 5 Speeds in those are a weak point. But the miles seem good. Check all the fluids, ask for maitinence records and all the good stuff.
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

it runs well and yes its a 4x4. What do you mean the weakpoint, like the tranny is a piece of crap? not strong?
        B R E T T

Comment

Originally posted by JeepJunkie
          it runs well and yes its a 4x4. What do you mean the weakpoint, like the tranny is a piece of crap? not strong?
          Yes, they are Peugeot trannys are are not know for their strength . . . And they are french
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

I believe it's a Peugot BA-10 tranny which I heard are know for failure. Mine is still kickin'
            “Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way. ”
            -Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

Comment

On my 85 5spd 4cyl would it also be the peugot? And i read that some 87's have the D44. Is there anything bodywise that would alert me to that, like towing package tow hooks that sorta thing or would i have to actually look? I remember it had some towing thing mounted under the dash above the padals that lit up when you pressed the break to let you know the trailer wiring is getting power. Any chance that might have the d44 or lower gearing than 3.07??
              B R E T T

Comment

If it had a factory tow package, there is a good chance that its a D44. Get underneath and look . . . if the diff cover is a hexagon its a D44. If its oval shaped, then its a D35.
                Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

im going to buy it on this coming tuesday, so ill get a look at it when i get it home. If it does have a D44 how much would that make the price go up if any? and also what gears would be in it?
                  B R E T T

Comment

well it doesnt have a D44:mad: and the old owner gave me a all the papers that came with it and one of them was all the options on the jeep. Apparently the axle ratio is 3.08. I have my old 4 banger which i think has 4.10's would it be tough to put them into the new jeep?
                    B R E T T

Comment

anyone ever swapped the gears? any advice if i do it or is it better left to a mechanic?
                      B R E T T

Comment

Just swap the axles.

You should still look underneath, the slip may be wrong. There is another way to tell if it's a D44. If the fill plug is set into the diff cover and requires a 3/8 ratchet to be removed it's a D35, if it sticks out and needs a 11/16 then it's a D44.

Chris, they didn't have to have the tow package to come with the D44. Mine doesn't have the tow package yet has the D44.

1987 was, from what I've heard, the only year that most XJs had D44s.

Does it have ABS?? If so then the front D30 will be a non-disconnect with the big 297x U-joints, and those are hard to find.

Good luck with it.

Erik

Comment

Well it is oval shaped and in the upper corner it says 35C. The fill plug is set into it. And the front is vacuum disconnect. The rear end did have work done by the old owner, maybe whoever worked on it swapped in a 35, i dunno. So your suggesting swapping both the front and rear axles to get the 4.10 gears??
                          B R E T T

Comment

Working...
                          X