Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More steering problems with DPA

So when I first bought this jeep the steering was terrible and was pretty unsafe to drive. I recently replaced the steering with the currie HD kit, and after this the steering was MUCH better. The next day my stock pitman arm broke, so I replaced it with a skyjacker 2.5inch drop pitman arm which was recomended by some on the net and a local shop. Now the steering is even worse than with the stock pitman arm. I am getting bump steer and whenever I hit a hole or bump in the road it just feels like the whole front end it loose even though everything is tight. The Track bar and drag link arnt tottally strait with eachother but it is very close.
    Here is a picture of the stock pitman arm, the angle of the tie rod end looks excesive.

With the drop pitman arm the angle on the TRE is eliminated but like I said the steering is worse with the DPA. I was told that my ball joints are going out, could this be attributing to the steering/loosness problems? Im thinking about going back to a stock pitman arm but I dont want it just break again. I am also thinking about taking out my 2inch spacers from the coils and lowering it to 4.5in of lift. I am only running 32's now so I dont need 6+ inches of lift. Has anyone lowered their grand from ~6in of lift to ~4in and got better handling from it? Im just so sick of this steering problem, I dont feel comfortable driving more than a few miles on the freeway and now my girlfriend is using it alot and I feel like she could go out of control very easily.
    Any advice would be greatly appriciated. Sorry for the long post.

-Chris
    Last edited by MendoZJ; 04-22-04, 10:57 AM.
    94' XJ,4.0,Tera Low 4:1
    D44/9inch, Locked, 36x14.50 TSL's and way to much lift

I have heard that the Currie steering was designed for about 4.5 inches of lift. I think your rig being at 6 inches is what is causing the tie rod end on the drag link at the pitman arm to have such an extreme angle. As for the pitman arm, maybe you can find a beefed up stock drop one. By lowering your Jeep from 6 to 4 inches, you'll get better handling simply because oh the lower COG. Do you have a picture of the steering looking at it straight on? Good luck
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Here are some frontal pictures.
      Pic and lighting quality are bad casue its off my video camera.

TR is not bent its just my lens.

Comment

ok so im going back to a stock pitman arm. We will just have to see how this goes. After Spending over $800 on my steering and still not having it work right really disapoints me.

Comment

Theres always trial and error! I would be concerned about the angle of the tie rod end on the draglink at the pitman arm. It looks extreme now. Just imagine when you take out the 2.5 inch drop pitman out. Maybe taking the coils spacers out at the same time would be a good idea? Let us know what happens.

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Stock pitman back in and steering is better than ever. I love it!
            ready to wheel.

Comment

good to hear!!

Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Working...
              X