Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch problem

i have a 87 yj just replaced the clutch and flywheel, the problem is the clutch engages about a inch off the floor, after driving for a while the clutch gets even lower until it's really hard to shift. my wife's 90 yj engages several inches off the floor. what am i missing? any ideas?
    Rich.
    But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

air in the clutch hydraulic system or a mis match in the linkage somewhere. If you look under the dash how far does the pedal travel before it starts moving the piston in the clutch master cylinder?

Comment

Art, the pedal moves maybe an inch before the master starts to engage,no adjustments on the rod, internal slave,whats the best way to bleed the slave, i just fill the master and open the slave bleeder and keep the master full, i hear bleeding them is a pain. any tips?
      Rich.

Comment

I have never bled my clutch so I don't have any help for you there. I am switching to the external slave type bellhousing though. If you want it I have a internal slave and master cylinder for you. They are both about a year and a half old. It should be out this weekend. Hopefully bleeding it works but if it doesn't let me know.
        Those left standing
        Will make millions
        Writing books on ways
        It should have been
        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

First thing would be to get rid of most of that inch of free play, either the rod is worn or the hole in the piston got deeper due to wear. Really should be no more than 1/8 of free play. Some of those internal slave setups get bled by just pumping the pedal for a very long time, since air will eventually rise to the highest point. You could speed it up some by finding another cap for the master cylinder and drill a small hole in it and then use a hand vacuum pump like a mittyvac and draw a vacuum in it, that should speed the removal of air in the system.

Comment

Bleed it it first and see if that solves the problem of the clutch engaging early.

How old is the slave cylinder? Monitor the fluid level and see if the slave is leaking. If it is leaking, you'll most likely see a droplet at the bottom of the bellhousing.

Comment

Been there, done that. There is no adjustment on the rod. The internal slaves damage the seals when fully expanded by pulling the tranny. The only real fix is replacement. When you install the new one, start the bleeding BEFORE any pressure is applied. If you fill the master and start pumping, air will blow out past the seal and effectively break the dam. Get the system bled as you fill it. On the good side, the masters are pretty much interchangeable. I'm running my 92 master into a 98 external mounted to an 05 6 speed.
              God forgives, rocks don't
              -sons of thunder

Comment

the slave is also new, i was just told by a local mechenic to depress the clutch and hold it down. open the bleeder until i get a steady flow of fluid then close the bleeder,not allowing the master to go dry. sound rite?
                my pedal has no more play than my wifes jeep. doesn't apear to be any leaks as the master res. level doesn't drop.
                Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by 4rheel View Post
                  the slave is also new, i was just told by a local mechenic to depress the clutch and hold it down. open the bleeder until i get a steady flow of fluid then close the bleeder,not allowing the master to go dry. sound rite?
                  my pedal has no more play than my wifes jeep. doesn't apear to be any leaks as the master res. level doesn't drop.
                  Rich.
                  I am also trying to bleed my clutch line, How is it done? Yup depress pedal down to the floor, open bleeder, but no flow...nothing. Whats up? Help...
                  "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                  (Charles Wells)

Comment

i went through this... the best way to bleed this is as follows:
                    get a piece of clear tubing that fits tightly on the bleeder, run that hose into a container with enough fluid to slightly submerse the tip of the clear hose. have someone pour brake fluid into the clutch master and you watch the clear tubing until the fluid comes out fresh, clean, and with NO bubbles. when this happens, tighten the bleeder. brake fluid is cheap. buy a big bottle, and flush the whole system
                    this is a form of "gravity" bleeding. it works GREAT!
                    should take 5-10 minutes

as quoted above from an other thread.
                    I will try again, using the above instructions.
                    I tried it with no hose, but it would not flow.
                    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
                    (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by 4rheel View Post
                      i have a 87 yj just replaced the clutch kits and flywheel, the problem is the clutch engages about a inch off the floor, after driving for a while the clutch gets even lower until it's really hard to shift. my wife's 90 yj engages several inches off the floor. what am i missing? any ideas?
                      Rich.
                      i was too having a problem with my clutch i went to my mechanic and he told me to buy a new one. i dont know the problem since i am new having a jeep. hope you could help me on this. anyway where to buy a Clutch Kits?

Comment

You can get kits from any parts store, autozone, o'reilly, napa etc... Also look on ebay. Depending on what year you have, some list the master and slave as a unit. The throwout bearing is part of the slave. The clutch and pressure plate are pretty straight forward. Best bet is get a bellhousing from a 94 to 03. If you have a six, get it for the six. If you have a four, get it for the four. They are different. However, the external slave setup is vastly easier to replace, they have proven to me to be far more reliable.
                        God forgives, rocks don't
                        -sons of thunder

Comment

I have bled mine numerous times by attaching a clear hose to the bleeder on the transmission into a clear water bottle. Crack open the bleeder and watch the fluid pour through the hose into the bottle until there are no bubbles. Have your assistant keep the master full. Pour a fair amount through there until you are sure you have replaced all of the fluid.
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
                          X