Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desperately need help from Jeep smog experts....

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Desperately need help from Jeep smog experts....

So I have an '83 CJ-7 which seems to have been produced during the bowels of the entire smog debacle.
    I took her in to get smogged and she passed the normal smog stuff but there is this new thing this year that pressurizes the gas system.

Some of the tubing around the one way valve fell out and a piece that I cant identify (the pair valve?) got melted.

so does anyone know of a place that I can find new OEM smog stuff online?

thanks!
    1983 CJ-7, I bought her when I was 15, she's my baby

Four wheel drive hardware was a source for some of the hard to get parts on my CJ7

http://www.4wd.com/
    Rich

Comment

Is this what your looking for?
      http://www.jeep4x4center.com/parts-a...on-systems.htm
      If not give them a call. They can probably find what you need and they are very helpful.
      Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
        Is this what your looking for?
        If not give them a call. They can probably find what you need and they are very helpful.
        first of all, thank you and yes this is exactly what I need!

BUT ...... $150 for the valve?!?!?!

:omg:

thats unbelievable...... I desperately want to add fuel injection to this thing because of these very thing but holy CRAP.

Comment

I have a CJ-7 and that's just the way it is. Some of these parts aren't being manufactured anymore, so you need to just buy it and enjoy your Jeep. I know it hurts!

Roger - With the the "Po' Boy" Jeep...
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

I converted my 83 with the Howell kit. I highly recommend it. I held onto my stock smog crap. If you post up a pic, I'll see that I have it.

Comment

welcome to obsolescent jeeps, it got so bad I went to pre 75 jeeps so I did not have to meet smog, that means I put up with narrow springs, narrow track and un boxed frames. but I have found it is worth it
              My know there are a lot of jeeps out there registered as years they are not, Frankenjeeps are kinda common.
              censored for having an opinion

Comment

AJ,

I feel your pain here. My 88YJ passed smog without a problem (Howell Fuel Injection), but failed the new 2010 bullshit fuel tank pressurize test. So now I need $238.00 more dollars to fix something on a 22 year old Jeep that was never required before. More sucky sucky of the money out of my wallet (that I don't have) by the government. Good luck to you.

Mitch

Comment

It really is not right that our older rigs have new smog requirements that the engine was never designed to meet. My '85 CJ7 did real well with the Mopar conversion (which means it had to meet '94 requirements), but my '87 El Camino is real close to being a problem. Who knows where I will be next year.
                  Rich

Comment

Originally posted by SAR Jeeper View Post
                    I converted my 83 with the Howell kit. I highly recommend it. I held onto my stock smog crap. If you post up a pic, I'll see that I have it.
                    thanks man! The CJ is up in Los Alamos in a barn because I didnt want to have it in Los Angeles anymore so I cant get a pic of it - BUT its #11 on here.

Comment

Hard to tell from that pic...I'll look through my box-o-junk.

Comment

I have two:

PM me if this is what you need (easier to follow than a thread!)

Comment

The type and amount of smog "stuff" you need depends on if your Jeep was a 49 state model or a Ca. model.
                          Your VIN# and a call to the DMV should tell you this.
                          Respectfully,
                          LG
                          Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Also if parts are no longer available and obsolete and cannot be found through the California smog program parts locator service, then you can get an exemption for that smog part

Comment

Working...
                            X