Clear All

• Stock to 35's and now to 37's

Almost stock

Starting to mod

35's before starting the body armor

35's and starting the armor

35's

37's I put a used set of Goodyears on Saturday June 11,2010

Nice looking but the Rubicon's front D44 isn't really up to 37" tires, not even if hardened alloy axle shafts have been installed. The Rubicon's front Dana 44 is 25% Dana 44, 75% Dana 30. The Rubicon's front Dana 44 uses Dana 30 axle tubes, outer axle shaft stub, unit bearing hub, u-joints, knuckles, ball joints, inner/outer C's, and brakes. Only the center pumpkin, gears, and inner axle shaft is Dana 44 stuff.

The front ball joints, etc. will have a dramatically reduced life with 37" tires.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Still people run them, is wise probably not, is it fun ya bet ya

Comment

Have known a few people who have tried 37's and 44's with mostly bad results. Alot depends on the trails you run.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Looks good Jeff!

Comment

I was running the same tires with a true D44 and had no issues. I went to 35's and I love the power I'm getting out the TJ.. I'm running 488's, NV4500, and an Atlas 2... My worry was flexing the axle with all the torque and popping the diff cover off. I also gained some ground on the RTI ramp. NO tire rub anywhere..

Hey the rig looks great. I do have other 37's without any tears in the bead if you're interested.. 7 total and 4 of them are fine. You will hit the end of the road running those tires eventually, they don't make them anymore.
            You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

In jeff's case I wouldnt worry about the shafts, he is running the rcv's. The concern I would have is balljoint/knuckle. The other concern would be the rear locker.

But hey more power to you Jeff. I am also pushing limits on my axles, especially front, 35's on d30(small u-joints) with all stock parts other than a lockrite. And I am not always kind to it. It's a ticking time bomb for sure but hey gotta push some limits to have fun.

Looks good bud. I have friend in bakersfield that has ran his rubi 44's with 37's with alloy usa shafts/joints for the past 4yrs. only break on axles has been rear locker. He isn't very hardcore, but has ran Dusy/ersham in it.
              "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                Nice looking but the Rubicon's front D44 isn't really up to 37" tires, not even if hardened alloy axle shafts have been installed. The Rubicon's front Dana 44 is 25% Dana 44, 75% Dana 30. The Rubicon's front Dana 44 uses Dana 30 axle tubes, outer axle shaft stub, unit bearing hub, u-joints, knuckles, ball joints, inner/outer C's, and brakes. Only the center pumpkin, gears, and inner axle shaft is Dana 44 stuff.

The front ball joints, etc. will have a dramatically reduced life with 37" tires.
                It will be fine Jerry. The rear is the bigger issue and unless he's living on a steady diet of hammer food, not much to worry about.
                I am Savvy.

Comment

Something to consider is this, the older style MTR's run small probably 35" or 35.5 at best Krawlers are true to size, people seem to do all right with 35" Krawlers that are 13.50" wide and grip pretty darn good, so Jeff if you do what you do, seems to me you go out and have some fun with the Yellow beast

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                    Something to consider is this, the older style MTR's run small probably 35" or 35.5 at best Krawlers are true to size, people seem to do all right with 35" Krawlers that are 13.50" wide and grip pretty darn good, so Jeff if you do what you do, seems to me you go out and have some fun with the Yellow beast
                    In this part of the world, the Krawler doesn't stand a chance in the grip department against the 37-15 MT/R. I've run the 37's and wheeled side by side with the Krawlers and there is simply no comparison.

I also never buy into the tire size game. It's simple. A 33 is bigger than a 31 and a 35 is bigger than a 33 and a 37 is bigger than a 35.

You can split hairs if you like, but I've not found it to be any different. Then again, I've run 30's, 31's, 33's, 35's, 37-17's, 37-15's, 39-17's, and 40-17's.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

Who makes the cargo basket you have on the rear above the spare tire in the first couple of pics ?
                      You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

Looks good Jeff! Glad you got them mounted up! I was kind of sad to see them go! Best of luck with them, they were good to me!

Comment

looks good man. if u tear up the axles : replace them then.

Comment

Working...
                          X