Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch master cyl cheap fix

I just remembered a cheap fix for the clutch master cylinders. The 90 and up YJ's master cylinder is supposedly not rebuildable. To a point, it's true. Nobody carries the seals that I know of, but I'm sure some web searching could turn something up. The most common failure I've had is the piston return spring breaking. Last time I checked, the master was over $75. I figured, if it was assembled, it can be taken apart. All I had to do was hold two little tabs aside and slide it apart. The spring came out in four pieces. I went to Home and found a spring set for repairing screen doors - the compression style that uses two bypass loops. I ground out the inner diameter of one end to fit over the spring guide and cut the spring to match the length of the original. Been in service over 4 years and cost $4.
    God forgives, rocks don't
    -sons of thunder

Awesome. I love the cheep fixes. I think one of my favorite clutch master cylinder tips I found was a mod to move it out of the bell housing. When I have to do mine I think I’ll be doing that.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

To get the pin out of the master, I ground the tip of a nail to fit inside the roll pin- make sure it has a shoulder. Cut it to about 3/4" and insert the tip into the roll pin. Use a set of channel locks to squeeze it out. I've seen a guy beat his hands and the master cylinder pretty badly trying to pound the pin out.
      God forgives, rocks don't
      -sons of thunder

Comment

Working...
      X