Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have another issue when I try to flat tow my 93 YJ. It does not want to follow the tow vehicle, it instead wants to follow the road topography. Turning corners across concrete drainage gutters results in the tow vehicle going one direction and the YJ trying to follow the gutter in the other direction. This makes towing impossible. I have had it checked by several shops and all agree there is nothing mechanically wrong with the Jeep. I think it likely has something to do with running the original Dana 30 front axle with a Detroit locker. It is still equipped with the stock vacuum motor actuated two piece long side axle shaft. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

The issue that Jedi talks about has no bearing on the OP's situation though. The OP's YJ has a 231 t-case without the lubrication issue of other t-cases like the Dana 300 that can't be flat towed while in neutral without a splasher paddle modification. Jedi's cautions and worst case scenario isn't really applicable to the 231. At least not to me.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by YJ4DR
        Found this...

http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/flattow.html

The problem with putting the tranny into gear while towing is that if your t-case somehow wiggles into gear, your entire drivetrain will suddenly lock up. At best, this could snap a driveshaft U-joint, causing your driveshaft to spin wildly with one end free while you drive obliviously down the road. At worst, the jolt could pull both your Jeep and tow rig end-over-end off the highway. I actually talked to someone who experienced this worst case scenario first hand. Both his Jeep and his pickup rolled, and both were totaled. All this could have been avoided by simply shifting both the t-case and the tranny into neutral before beginning the trip. As an added precaution, it's not a bad idea to use bungie cords or twine or something to tie off the shifters so they can't move from their neutral positions.
        As mentioned in post #12, I tried this ( Trans in neutral with bungee cords) and my transmission ended up inpaled in someones windshield. If thats not enough proof to convince someone not to do this I dont know what is. Good luck with that. This was on an 87 YJ. However my father in law had an 74 CJ and flat towed it for years with the hubs open and never had a problem.
        I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

@ Dirtballs89. When flat towing, vehicles tend to move back and fourth some normally. If it just wont follow you at all without putting a bungy cord on the steering wheel, check the caster setting. People like to shim the diff up to get a better drive shaft angle and some leaf springs you can put on backwards. Both of these can cause the caster to go more negative. The caster being more positive helps keep the steering wheel straight (among other things)while going down the road. That's also assuming the shop checked the steering correctly.

@ Jerry Bransford; I totally agree with you. It doesn't apply to the OP's 231. I had forgotten about the dana 300 oiling mod. I wanted to do that to mine but never got around to it.
          Come to the dark side.....
          We have Cookies!

Comment

Now it is starting to sound like with my 231 TC it would not be an issue to leave the trans in neutral.

Thanks for all the replies, didn't know I would start such a long thread this question.

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post
              Now it is starting to sound like with my 231 TC it would not be an issue to leave the trans in neutral.

Thanks for all the replies, didn't know I would start such a long thread this question.
              When I first started flat towing, probably the best advice I recieved regarding the how to's was just disconnect the drive shafts at both diffs, secure them up and tow happily ever after.

Comment

Originally posted by dktool View Post
                Why, after all this and knowing the factory says NOT to do that, would you still want to leave the transmission in neutral????????
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                  Why, after all this and knowing the factory says NOT to do that, would you still want to leave the transmission in neutral????????
                  Let's hope his 'trans' abbreviation meant transfer case?
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I will put the transfer case in neutral and the transmission in gear.

The End

Comment

I drag my CJ 5 around, the only one I flat tow a lot, Like to Logandale Nevada for Hump and Bump each year. I have seen a lot of issues with people doing it this way and that so besides that front disco hubs it had when I put the D30 in the front (67, had a d27) I full floated the rear axle and added a set of disco hubs there. I tow and when I get to destination I put on drive flanges, 1/2 hour chore but it makes towing so nice. I still put the case in neutral and the tranny in high. as a fail safe but on short hops sometimes I just disco. Anyway I have the 67 set up like my old 65 tux park and towed that thing across the United States, Florida to California without an issue. God Rest That Jeep.
                      I was coming home from Big Bear after a 3 day weekend and pulled in behind a Motor-home with a TJ in tow, suddenly it was spewing oil everywhere, we pulled up and got him to stop, he had both the t case and tranny in neutral and tranny fluid everywhere. I think neutral is a huge mistake with the tranny after that.
                      censored for having an opinion

Comment

When I towed on a dolly to AZ in January I just disconnected the driveshaft and zip-tied it up. I am sure I could have put the tcase in neutral and the trans in gear. But It only took 10 minutes and its cheep insurance.
                        Those left standing
                        Will make millions
                        Writing books on ways
                        It should have been
                        -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by Zoobi View Post
                          @ Dirtballs89. When flat towing, vehicles tend to move back and fourth some normally. If it just wont follow you at all without putting a bungy cord on the steering wheel, check the caster setting. People like to shim the diff up to get a better drive shaft angle and some leaf springs you can put on backwards. Both of these can cause the caster to go more negative. The caster being more positive helps keep the steering wheel straight (among other things)while going down the road. That's also assuming the shop checked the steering correctly.

@ Jerry Bransford; I totally agree with you. It doesn't apply to the OP's 231. I had forgotten about the dana 300 oiling mod. I wanted to do that to mine but never got around to it.
                          Even with a bungee on the steering wheel it still will not follow the tow vehicle when crossing pronounced topography in the road. It will get in such a bind I have to stop and disconnect the tow bar. I had the alignment and all steering components checked by two shops and all was OK.:bonk:

Comment

How much lift do you have? Is it possible that your caster angle is too little. That would cause your tracking problems I think.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Tracking

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                              How much lift do you have? Is it possible that your caster angle is too little. That would cause your tracking problems I think.
                              I have a 94 and I tow with the steering wheel unlocked so it can turn and the transfer case in nuteral and transmission in second. My jeep now has an automatic so the transmission is in park with the steering wheel is still free.
                              George

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
                                4.5" Rubicon Express Extreme kit.

Comment

Working...
                                X