Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ Tilt Steering won't stay tight

Today I fixed my loose Tilt Lock Arm! At first I tried tightening the nut on the right side but this just locked the whole steering tilt mechanism and lock arm was still loose. The fix was simple once I removed the lock arm and shaft assembly, it just required removing the whole unit and rotating the shaft 180 so it has a thread coming through the lever side. The shaft actually does not rotate when the arm is moved up and down, the detente ring and arm do all the adjusting on the left side. Remove steering cover 2 Phillips head screws and remove cover below steering also with 2 Phillips heads screws, with steering tilt all the way up remove the 2 springs and lock nut. Slide lock arm and shaft assembly out from left side, rotate shaft counter clockwise 180 so about 1 thread protrudes through the lock arm and re-assemble, use the lock nut on the right side to adjust the desired tightness but do not tighten the nut down tight because it must remain loose enough to allow steering to freely slide up and down until lock lever is moved up.
    [COLOR="Teal"]2006 TJ, 4"Full Traction Ultimate, SYE, CV, 35" MTR's on Champion Beadlocks, WARN 9.5Ti [/COLOR]

thanks alot guardian 7! this is an issue that has bothered me alot on washboard roads like the one going back to the race track in death valley etc... you may have inspired me to get up off my butt and do it!

Comment

Working...
    X