Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some advice on buying this XJ

Can you all tell me if this sounds like a good deal?
    Anything to ask/look for when I go see it?
    Will the gas mpg go down that much you think?
    Info below:

2000 Jeep Cherokee
    $6,600 93,000 miles

Upgrades : *4 inch Trailmaster lift kit. *1.5 inch Terraflex rear shackle lift (leveled it out nice) *Dual stearing stabilizers (one new in box not yet on) *Brand new Mickey Thompson MTZ tires on new 16" wheels *New AEM Brute Force cold air intake polished *New Custom exhaust routed for clearance(great tone) *Very nice stereo system: Alpine deck (extended warranty), Infinity speakers with JBL amp and sub, and has satellite radio built in. *New serp. belt, plugs, headlights *Remote Start *New windshield **Must see to appreciate!

Options Installed:

Driver Air Bag
    Cruise Control
    CD Player
    Passenger Air Bag
    Rear Window Defroster
    AM/FM Stereo
    Power Door Locks
    Power Windows
    Power Steering
    Tinted Glass
    Tilt Wheel
    98' XJ Sport, K&N filter, 174,xxx miles

The price is a little high for this one. And I think that 2000 is the year XJs got the coil packs and other PITA smog equipment. I have seen some 98-99s sell with the same options for $4500 and have seen some steals for $3000.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

The dual steering stabilizers throw a flag as well, unless the owner just doesn't know any better.

Don't be too concerned with getting a low mileage one. These motors are usually good for 250-300k
      An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

The 1999-2001 XJ were the years that had head cracking problems.

Comment

Thanks for replys yall, really.

I think the head issue is going to scare me off. 1999 have head issue as well?

Comment

Originally posted by freshduckie View Post
            Thanks for replys yall, really.

I think the head issue is going to scare me off. 1999 have head issue as well?
            Depends on the head casting #. 0331 is the # thats having problems. For the 02 model year they changed head suppliers. The new supplier puts "TUPY" on the head where the old ones were cracking. The 02 and newer 0331 head does not seem to have the problems.

http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...d.php?t=391831

Comment

What is are Dual stearing stabilizers? & why should I be concerned about this?

I was thinking of buying this Jeep and replacing the cylinder head a few months later

Doug

Comment

not for that price. xjs are way cheaper. they dont hold their value like the wranglers do. trust me u can find a better deal. and all the extra stuff u listed is just easy bolt on stuff that can be bought for a few hundred bucks.

Comment

What is are Dual stearing stabilizers? & why should I be concerned about this?
                  This is a steering stabilizer:

They are used to eliminate vibration from steering systems on solid axle vehicles. If the tires are balanced correctly, the steering geometry is setup correctly, and the bushings are all in good condition, the vehicle should drive fine without ANY steering stabilizer.

That XJ having two may mean one or more of the things I mentioned are wrong with the front end, and they're trying to use stabilizers (shocks for the steering) to hide another problem.
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I was thinking of buying this Jeep and replacing the cylinder head a few months later
                    Not every head is cracking. There are a million Jeeps running around that have not had any head problems.

I would just keep an eye on the oil and coolant. If the oil cap gets milky and the coolant level drops then it needs to be fixed asap.

Comment

Working...
                    X