Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop's on a dime!

Well the Jeep has proven to be a little scary when being cut off by "speed racer" him/herself, while towing the trailer with a good load of wood for a long weekend & having traffic come to a halt in an instant, or even when in 4 lo. Of course all this became an issue after loading the Jeep down with enough armor to protect a Bradley along with 35" tires with a heavy steel wheel weighing in at 100lb each corner. So my answer came from Vanco in the form of his big brake kit.

The rotors took me from 10" to 12". The factory calibers were a single piston, while the upgraded version have dual 48mm pistons. Also included are a reinforce knuckle that seems to be half the factory TJ braking issues. Almost forgot the EBC yellow pads.

While I had the front end tore down I thought this would be a great time to upgrade my pathetic looking steering to some thing more substantial considering the forces the steering deals with. Decided to go with Curries after doing some research & seeing so many going this route after running a cross over style.

Here is the whole package in place ready for an extensive break in to bed the rotors & cure the pads.

Love putting new parts on the Jeep... Hi, my name is Josh & I am a Jeepaholic!

Many thanks to Scott Mr. avjeepfreek, also to Van for providing a great product.

Yesterday took the Jeep up to Devils Hole, we started from 2n33. It was a long day but the brakes performed flawlessly. Apparently once they have 800 miles on them they will be working @ their peak... Baffling considering they work so great right now with very little effort to make the Jeep stop. Steering also another wonderful addition, tight positive feel.
    Last edited by snydercj7; 05-31-10, 12:48 PM.
    Build it right the first time.

Lookin good Josh, Glad I could help! Wrench'n on Jeep's is so much fun!

Glad to here you made it up to Devils Hole! That place is awesome! It's our favorite place!

Scott
    "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

I just recently did the same currie draglink upgrade with a fliped heavy duty v8 zj grand cherokee tierod. I love it! You should do a tierod flip on the driverside to get the tierod up out of the way also. Not to sure if you need to cut and move the sway bar brackets though with the currie tierod.
      Last edited by Jeeperator; 05-30-10, 04:01 PM.

Comment

from a fellow Jeepaholic....good work, it looks great
        Jim

Comment

Thanks guys.

Jeeperator, did you drill the tapper from the top side on the drivers knuckle? Did moving it to the top have any effect on the steering or cause bump steer?
          Build it right the first time.

Comment

It's a flip kit, comes with an insert that you tack weld in the knuckle. no effect on bump steer since all you do is move the tierod and not the draglink

Comment

Lookin good Josh,
              For a guy on a budget... That's one sweet Jeep!

Scott

Comment

Looks good. I did the ebc yellow pads and new rotors on my old yj a few months back. I couldn't believe how much better it was. Having bigger rotors and 2 piston calipers must be incredible. I like that steering upgrade. It's now on my list.(For my new TJ)
                It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Joe,

What year YJ do you have? I couldn't find EBC Yellow Pads that fit my 88' YJ. I would love to do that if you have a part#.

Josh: Glad the project turned out well.

Mitch

Comment

Originally posted by great88 View Post
                    Joe,

What year YJ do you have? I couldn't find EBC Yellow Pads that fit my 88' YJ. I would love to do that if you have a part#.

Mitch
                    My YJ was a 95. Don't have any info. I just sold the YJ and gave the buyer my folder w/all my paperwork. I researched on the EBC website. Don't bother emailing them, they wont reply. I ended up ordering from autoparts warehouse.com They were very helpful. I got the yellow SUV pads. Good luck.
                    It was like that when I got here.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
                      I just recently did the same currie draglink upgrade with a fliped heavy duty v8 zj grand cherokee tierod. I love it! You should do a tierod flip on the driverside to get the tierod up out of the way also. Not to sure if you need to cut and move the sway bar brackets though with the currie tierod.
                      You should relocate the swaybar end link mounts on the axle about an inch or so higher to flip the Currie.

Like this-

I am Savvy.

Comment

Where did THAT bracket come from? That's a nice bracket.
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                          Where did THAT bracket come from? That's a nice bracket.
                          I designed it, bent up a prototype and then had some made.
                          I am Savvy.

Comment

Very nice Blaine, I like it.
                            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

looks like the rotors and calipers are from centric, still have the part ##'s around???
                              The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Working...
                              X