Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-gear

Well its time to put some 4:56 gears in, anyone know of the best deal in town?

Do it yourself is always the cheapest. But if you are not confident in doing it yourself, call Jim up at JC Fab and design.
    olllllllo <--- If you can read that, roll me over!

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

KG6OWO

Comment

He's the guy up near Newhall rite?, the only reason I havent done it myself is, all my friends have said that if you dont get it just rite you screw it up, I guess it requires a micrometer to dial it in ?
      If I could just find a place to swap out third members, I would be comfortable doing that.

Comment

Uh, unless you've swapped in 9" Furd axles, or Toyota ones - you don't HAVE third members.....

IMHO, for a "one time" application, it's not worth investing in the required tools to do a gear swap _correctly_.
        Jeff
        OHV76V
        KG6TY
        You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

No specialty tools are required. Well, nothing I consider specialty. You will need a dial indicator and a mag. base to check back lash, and a in/lb torque wrench for pinion bearing pre-load, and a ft/lb torque wrench for ring gear bolts, and of course a way to pull/press bearings. All of that stuff I consider "normal" tools. If you don't have a press, borrow one, or even buy a cheap HF press (I have used them in the past, and they work fine, despite not being the sturdiest products around).

But Old Fart may be right.....if you will never have use for any of those tools again, it may not be worth it. But personally, I veiw such projects as a reason to buy the tools in the first place. In fact, I have been known to take on projects just so I can justify (in my own little mind) buying the tools!

KG6OWO

Comment

agreed.. check with jim.
            www.jcfabanddesign.com
            Last edited by NAILER341; 04-15-04, 09:18 AM.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

LOL goodtimes, I've used that excuse more than once myself

Bought my first MIG welder that way (Honey, I won't have to trailer the sandrail out to Riverside if I buy this....) - and that's led into 2 MIG's, a plasma cutter and a whole lot of cord and plug connected metal working tools.

Gear setting tools are on the "sooner or later" list (I owned most of that stuff back in my go fast car days), but they tend to lead to setting everyone ELSES gears up. You can make a few bucks (or a lot of beer) that way, I just don't have the time for it
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart
                ...Bought my first MIG welder that way ....

...they tend to lead to setting everyone ELSES gears up. You can make a few bucks (or a lot of beer) that way, I just don't have the time for it
                Hmmmm....that sounds familiar! $1200 worth of MIG, $1200 worth of plazma cutter, $XX,XXX worth of other crap....got bad enough I took out insurance on my tools! Luckily I never had a garage until very recently (kept the tools at work, where they got most of thier use). Now with the house payment I am too broke to take on any projects. Oh well, at least I there is room in the garage for the heep.

As for it leading to everyone elses gear swaps.....well, working nights and weekends helps with that.

"Sure, we can do it....bring it over next tuesday...at midnight..." That sure weeds out most of 'em.

KG6OWO

Comment

Got lucky on my MIGs, first one (Lincoln WeldPac 100) was mismarked to $199 at Home Depot, main unit (180A/220V Astro Power) a friend was selling because he purchased a new Miller "state of the art" box.

Plasma cutter was "interesting". Back pre-Y2K, I was Director of Engineering for a Telecom firm, doing the buildout for a few dozen data centers. I had a standing order with Caterpillar Generator for about $30MM worth of units.

General Contractor of mine NEEDED a generator bad for a center (not one of mine) he was building in Chicago - and was facing $1500 a day in liquidated damages for every day he missed.

I arranged for cat to get him a generator and transfer switch before his deadline, he "arranged" for a Hypertherm 600 to magically appear on my workbench
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

Damn!!! I really wanted a Hypertherm 600, but ended up with a 380 instead. Of course, the deal I got was pretty good too. A former boss owed me 50% of the cost of my mig (Millermatic 210) because my original welder took a crap while working on a company project. Rather than have them buy me another POS, we agreed to split the cost of a better machine. So, after I got the miller, I made them some parts that saved them $28,000 (which was the justification for them paying the extra to get a better machine). They beat around the bush on paying me the $600 for the welder (their half), and when I gave my notice, the general manager basically said "screw you, we ain't paying". So I told my boss (production manager) that I was just going to "send him a Purchase Order" for a plazma cutter instead of fighting them for a check (joking with him). In a strait face, he asked me how much it was gonna cost.........and he agreed to that plus a auto-darkening helmet, and a few little other things.

You just gotta love getting deals like that!

KG6OWO

Comment

Outstanding!

I love the trade/swap type deals where BOTh parties feel like they got the "better end of the bargain"

My wife found the reciept for the 600 (GC gave it to me in case i ever had a warranty issue), her reaction was &^%! did you spend $1800 on?????

Took some 'splainin

Jeff
                      KG6TY
                      Jeff
                      OHV76V
                      KG6TY

Comment

Damn guys can we get back to my gears......just yankin yeas chain, ok I will check with JC, I have talked to those chuckle heads before.

Comment

Pete at professional auto works is right there in murrieta and sets up LOTS of gears.
                          swing by this weekend and talk to him ( I'll be there too)
                          by far the cheapest place around to get jeep work done.

directions...
                          from jefferson take pear st to the first left (Pierce Cir). go 1 block and it's on the right.
                          number is 909-461-3342
                          Pete's a busy guy, so it's appointment only.
                          It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Working...
                          X