Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ: Electrical Problems... NEED SOME HELP!

1982 CJ7 with a Painless Wiring Kit. Manual Trans, 6 cylinder with 135K.

Here is a brief update of what happened...

Went wheeling, battery mount bracket broke, battery dropped into the engine bay, positive terminal broke off and welded itself to the firewall, and the negative cable ripped all up. We rigged it somewhat back together.

The jeep would not start on it's own, and would not start with jumper cables, so we bump started it. I drove it all the way home.

I figured it was the starting solenoid so I replaced that... Nothing. Checked the battery, it was toast... Replaced that with a red top. I bolted up the negative side of the battery, and moved onto the positive... POP... Not going on without a fight! Removed the starter lead from the starter solenoid, and the positive cable went right on without any pop. So, I figured the starter was bad. Replaced it... The same thing happened. As soon as the positive touches the terminal post, it pops.

Any advise? I want to wheel this weekend.

What is this Pop you are reffering to? Is it the positive cable arcing to the battery? thats why you hook the negative up last.
    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
      What is this Pop you are reffering to? Is it the positive cable arcing to the battery? thats why you hook the negative up last.
      I'm dumb! I just got off the phone with my Dad. He's a master mechanic... I got yelled at for about 15 minutes, and mad fun of for another 15... I'll give that a shot. :oops::bonk::hide:

Comment

I don't know what I was thinking. That's what I get for working on anything with a beer in my hand. I thought for sure that I had a short. I just spent a few hundred on a bunch of crap I didn't need. Oh well... Let the flame war begin.

Comment

Two kinds of people. Those that have pulled a similar stunt - those that deny it
          Jeff
          OHV76V
          KG6TY
          You're just upset because the voices in my head only talk to ME!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Fart View Post
            Two kinds of people. Those that have pulled a similar stunt - those that deny it
            HAHA! Thanks Old Fart! I appreciate that!

Comment

back in The Day.......
              I was heavy into the street racer thing. I'm taking big block Chevy's - not this 15,0000 rpm "Tuner" stuff. Was real anal about things like sticking a special tool down the distributor hole in the intake to spin up the oil pump, pre oiling the system (so you don't have to crank and wait for pressure - learned that the hard way).

Cranked oil into the system, pressure comes up, looking good (Mistake Number One - don't get cocky)

Closed the hood, went into the house for a beer. Repeat. Repeat. Decide to invite friends over to witness Big Block Initial Run (Mistake Number Two - witnesses).

Friends arrive - more beer. Go out to garage, crank over motor. Or rather crank motor. And crank. And crank....

Forgot to install the distributor AND the plug wires............
              Jeff
              OHV76V
              KG6TY

Comment

back in The Day.......
                I was heavy into the street racer thing. I'm taking big block Chevy's - not this 15,0000 rpm "Tuner" stuff. Was real anal about things like sticking a special tool down the distributor hole in the intake to spin up the oil pump, pre oiling the system (so you don't have to crank and wait for pressure - learned that the hard way).

Cranked oil into the system, pressure comes up, looking good (Mistake Number One - don't get cocky)

Closed the hood, went into the house for a beer. Repeat. Repeat. Decide to invite friends over to witness Big Block Initial Run (Mistake Number Two - witnesses).

Friends arrive - more beer. Go out to garage, crank over motor. Or rather crank motor. And crank. And crank....

Forgot to install the distributor AND the plug wires............
                HAHAHA! That is AWESOME! I'm sure you got it from the guys!

Comment

That was back in about 77-78, and yes - I got it then, and the few of the guys in that group that still keep in touch "occasionally" bring it up
                  Jeff
                  OHV76V
                  KG6TY

Comment

That was back in about 77-78, and yes - I got it then, and the few of the guys in that group that still keep in touch "occasionally" bring it up
                    I'm sure I won't live this one down for a while. I was going to delete my post, but I was like "own it" and it may help another noob like myself.

Comment

glad that's all it was......easier to take the ribbing than the cost of replacing the electrical system (where's the beer icon?)
                      Jim

Comment

Glad it was something simple. :cheers:
                        An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Originally posted by 66cj6 View Post
                          glad that's all it was......easier to take the ribbing than the cost of replacing the electrical system (where's the beer icon?)
                          Jim
                          :beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Here you go!!!! HAHA!

I ended up changing out my starter, starter relay, cables, and battery. Got a little pricey.

Well it was a combination of a couple things. The negative grounded out as well, but I found out that it was the relay. It went bad, and popped when I attached ether the black or red cables. Changed out the relay, and bam... it was good to go.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by 2blk2drs View Post
                            Glad it was something simple. :cheers:
                            Thanks to you for the very simple, but correct information. :geek:

Comment

Years ago I helped a stranded guy who had a wagoner. He was wheeling, bounced it hard and broke the engine.
                              We got to talking and he was so mad he said " if someone gave me a hundred dollars right now they can have this POS".
                              One hour later, gave him a hundred, we towed it to my house, I gave him a ride home. The next morning I'm inspecting it and noticed the broken battery, swapped it with one I had and it started. He thought he broke the motor because it wouldn't crank or jump start. It needed a battery and fix the tray.
                              Come to the dark side.....
                              We have Cookies!

Comment

Working...
                              X