Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show Me...

Where does everyone carry their gear on their Jeeps, ie;
    Spare tire, Gas cans, Ice chest. I broke mine on some rocks because it only covered my tail gate area (not high enough). Show Me Some Pic's

I used to carry all my crap on my swing out tire carrier. It’s a Rock Hard 4x4. I might be reconfiguring something’s though. It got pretty heavy at times.
    Check out .

Comment

This is the great question for Jeep owners. Although it might get a bit lonely, it really helps to leave the wife and kid at home! the passenger seat area is quite a bit of valuable storage space.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wherever you can.

Comment

I think that's a great question. On my CJ7, I had all kinds of storage available. Home made rack over my spare, Ammo cans locked down behind the back seat and a storage area under my back seat. I've had my TJ 2 years and I have......Uhh, no where yet.
          I would love to see some pic's of storage areas.

Scott
          Come to the dark side.....
          We have Cookies!

Comment

I don't have any pictures, but one of the things I purchased before our Dusy trip a couple of years ago was a soft vinyl carrier for the top of the Jeep. This held all of our sleeping bags, pillows and such. It has zippers and weather proof, so that is a plus. Had straps to attach to roll cage. I do not remember where I purchased.
            Rich

Comment

I built a tool box to go in place of my rear seat we can strap the cooler atop it

stores tools inside

we still have the tire carrier setup but it can get heavy so we try to cary weight inside as much as we can

Comment

John what brand bumper, tire carrier, rack is that. And what do you think of the quality? I've been working on a Warn bumper/swing away that was on my jeep when I bought it and I've already added a lot of weight. Thinking of grinding everything of and starting over or possibly buying a new set up and selling what I have. I like the box, I'm planning to build something similar myself. I've noticed when packing the back of my TJ if I place the heavier stuff like tools forward I get a better ride.

Comment

Did you keep the box low so you could lean the seats all the way back? On a trip up to Bodie last year I had to sleep in the seat because all the motels were booked. Being able to lay that seat all the way back allowed me to get some rest.
                  Last edited by Gary; 05-14-10, 07:57 AM.

Comment

I built an internal two part shelf. I can leave the rear seat in, or take it out and add considerably more space.

And I have a rack mounted to my Hanson rear bumper/tire carrier assembly:

I need all this because we carry a lot of crap (family of 4 on board most of the time)
                    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Originally posted by Gary View Post
                      John what brand bumper, tire carrier, rack is that. And what do you think of the quality? I've been working on a Warn bumper/swing away that was on my jeep when I bought it and I've already added a lot of weight. Thinking of grinding everything of and starting over or possibly buying a new set up and selling what I have. I like the box, I'm planning to build something similar myself. I've noticed when packing the back of my TJ if I place the heavier stuff like tools forward I get a better ride.

Its a Garvin, sold in pieces, its heavy duty, but heavy. And a bit pricy. The toolbox is 7 in high and ends about 1.5 in behind the step up in the floor pan and bolts in where the seat bolted. Its 12ga i probably could have used 14 but i wanted it to be strong. I had the steel sheared at pattons when i bought it and welded it up and painted it in an afternoon. ive never tried to lay the seats all the way back but i can put up a pic. if you want.

Comment

you know, i've been having LJ envy lately. That is a very nice looking rig you have there. The storage capacity over my tj makes me sick@! Good job!
                        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                          you know, i've been having LJ envy lately. That is a very nice looking rig you have there. The storage capacity over my tj makes me sick@! Good job!
                          Here you go: http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=17432
                          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

Thanks John, a buddy gave me a new Garvin rack (top part) at the meet n greet. I was thinking of fiting it to what I have or buying the Garvin bumper/Carrier. Now I'm thinking of just building one out of alumn and making it a bolt on instead of more steel and redoing some of the other stuff I've done on the carrier to lightend it up some???

I'm kinda liking the LJ a lot more myself lately. Not going to happen anytime soon though.

Comment

I'm not sure how strong you could make it out of Al. The garvin has braces and requires drilling for installation but its strong enough to feel comfortable to pull it by the built in 3/4 d rings. There is a fine balance between stregnth and weight. between bumpers, skid plates, winch, tool box, tube fenders, ill bet my junk weighs 1k more than stock.

Comment

Working...
                              X