Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On board air

Is any one familiar with the quick air x 2000? I'll be running 35's soon. I don't need a tank, cuz its only gonna be for air'n up, no accessories. The only fill rate info I can find is that it fills a 5 gal. tank from 0 - 200 psi in 11 min. I have no idea how that relates to filling a 35 from 8 - 35 psi, Is any one aware of another compressor that is an equivalent to the X 2000 ? Thanks for any help.

Joe
    It was like that when I got here.

What is the Quick Air's CFM (cubic feet per minute) rate into 20 or 30 psi? The CFM into pressure is the key rating to worry about, pay no attention to the air pressure it can achieve... the cheapest low output compressors can achieve high air pressures but they put out so little air volume that they can take an hour to refill Jeep tires.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

After debating this for months!!! I just picked up the portable Viair 400P which does the trick and will never be wasted. When I can afford something to run tools and fill faster I'll use this for the trailer etc....been borrowing one of these on the trail and does a 35 from 15-30psi in about 5 mins

Comment

one thing I found out after picking out my system is about the speed of units and the duty cycle. I chose the Viair 460c over the 450h, the c being a 100% duty cycle over the h being less. Well that meant the 450c was a slower unit, I watch the h units fill up tires so much faster than mine, however mine can pump continuously without overheating and theirs need down time.
        What I am trying to say is if speed is the issue, get a good unit with a lesser duty cycle as the seem to pump more CFM at rated pressure.
        censored for having an opinion

Comment

This OBA system is a 100% duty cycle and airs a 35" tire from 10-30psi in less than 2 minutes. Cost is $190 from Buzzard Gulch Tools. I plan to hard mount the system in the near future. Does not come with hose or battery cable, hose and fittings came from Harbor Freight and high amp cable from a stereo shop.

[COLOR="Teal"]2006 TJ, 4"Full Traction Ultimate, SYE, CV, 35" MTR's on Champion Beadlocks, WARN 9.5Ti [/COLOR]

Comment

Interesting set up. I've never seen that one before.
            I ended up go'n with the Deabloww by Max Flow. It aired up my 33's from 8 to 35 psi in about 2.5 min. Hopefully it'll do the same with my 35's, that are on the way. Thats good enough for me.

Comment

I think your Diablow is the twin head unit MV89G/MF-1089, I've gone through two Master Flow MF-1050 Tsunami Compressors which I think is the little brother to the Diablow unit, they each lasted about a year. My problem was they were not 100% duty cycle and need to cool off after airing up a set of tires, I always like to help air up others who don't have any OBA so I got them too hot. I think they had a 10-15 minute duty cycle then they should cool for 30min.

The PUMA unit is basically the same 1HP 4.0CFM compressor which sells for $400 at some 4X4 shops but way cheaper and comes with tank, etc, most importantly 100% continuous duty cycle and flows 4.0 CFM. I've seen J.C Fab mount similar units under the hood on left fender.

See link for similar units.
              http://www.extremeoutback.com/index....=1943310.13207

Another cool source for OBA stuff.
              http://www.airbagit.com/

Last edited by guardian7; 06-01-10, 11:51 PM.
              [COLOR="Teal"]2006 TJ, 4"Full Traction Ultimate, SYE, CV, 35" MTR's on Champion Beadlocks, WARN 9.5Ti [/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by blackZZR View Post
                one thing I found out after picking out my system is about the speed of units and the duty cycle. I chose the Viair 460c over the 450h, the c being a 100% duty cycle over the h being less. Well that meant the 450c was a slower unit, I watch the h units fill up tires so much faster than mine, however mine can pump continuously without overheating and theirs need down time.
                What I am trying to say is if speed is the issue, get a good unit with a lesser duty cycle as the seem to pump more CFM at rated pressure.
                This nails it. CFM is more important than duty cycle when it comes to speed of airing up. If you have more than 4 tires, then duty cycle is a factor due to heat build up which results in decreasing efficiency (reduced CFM), and eventual shutoff by a built in heat switch if there is one. I have a Viair 450, it will run all day, but it needs to because it's the slowest thing in the entire world. My Viair 400 was much faster, due to it's higher CFM, even though it had a much lower duty cycle.
                Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
                Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
                HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

great links guardian .....thanks
                  Jim

Comment

Originally posted by guardian7 View Post
                    I think your Diablow is the twin head unit MV89G/MF-1089, I've gone through two Master Flow MF-1050 Tsunami Compressors which I think is the little brother to the Diablow unit, they each lasted about a year. My problem was they were not 100% duty cycle and need to cool off after airing up a set of tires, I always like to help air up others who don't have any OBA so I got them too hot. I think they had a 10-15 minute duty cycle then they should cool for 30min.
                    Yeah, mine is the twin unit. I'll keep what you said in mind. I guess when someone asks if I can air them up(which I don't mind do'n), I'l say, sure come back in half an hour. I'll see if I can't make it last more then a year.

Thanks Joe

Comment

I just got this shipped to me ill let you know how it works

[COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Very Nice OBA kit, looks like it has everything needed for a clean install.

The best 12v compressor would have both high CFM rating and 100% duty cycle, It took me a while to find an affordable compressor with the 4.0 CFM/100% duty cycle rating. Most places want $300+ just for a compressor with these ratings!
                        Last edited by guardian7; 06-12-10, 12:40 AM.

Comment

My York F210 with 4 cfm at idle rpms & over 7 cfm with the engine runnning 1200 or so RPMs with a 100% duty cycle cost me $35 from the local junkyard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                            My York F210 with 4 cfm at idle rpms & over 7 cfm with the engine runnning 1200 or so RPMs with a 100% duty cycle cost me $35 from the local junkyard.
                            Then how much for a new serp, clutch (assuming your F210 came with a dual v-belt clutch like mine), wiring, hoses, fittings, etc.?

I've got a york setup too, and it was not nearly as simple as "$35 from the local junkyard." No offense, Jerry.

I went cheap and still probably have about $300 (maybe even $400) into my york setup including tank, fittings, etc. That's not to say I don't love the york setup, I just don't like seeing people act like it's $35 and you're done!
                            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I doubt anyone here would think you can install an entire OBA for $35 Mat. Besides, the post above mine I was responding to ended up talking about just the compressor itself, that is how I responded... about the compressor itself.

Comment

Working...
                              X