Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• general question

I recently purchased a 99 Wrangler, 4 cyl, 2.5. I was driving down the road the other day and it started to bog down. I got it towed back home, and now when I exceed 2500 rpm's it starts to bog down, and then dies. I have already replaced the TPS, and that did not work. Several people have come by to look at it, and they are unsure of what the problem may be. If anyone could help at all, that would be great. Is this a typical problem for this year? Please help.

-Chris

Cat will do that (It happen to me). Otherwise, tune-up time. Plugs, wires, etc.

Also, welcome!

Comment

X2 on checking the catalytic converter for possible clogging which happens when the ceramic elements break up inside. Cats do that and can restrict the exhaust enough that higher rpms are impossible.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Yep Cat first, fuel filter/pump second. That's assuming you don't have a check engine light on either.
        Come to the dark side.....
        We have Cookies!

Comment

X3 on checking the catalytic converter for possible clogging. Also check the muffler. I have seen broken baffles in mufflers cause exactly the same symptom. At idle all is OK but as engine RPM rises, the back pressure causes the motor to fall on it's face or stall.
          Never the last trail!:cactus:

Comment

thank you guys so much for the help. the check engine light is also on.

Comment

Pull codes first. For the possibly clogged exhaust loosen the bolts that hold the exhaust pipe to the manifold and take it for a spin if the bogging goes away you will know what to do. PS it will be loud and don't drive it to far, just a short spin should tell you if exhaust restriction is the problem.

Comment

Mine did almost the same thing, it was the oxygen sensor, but then again did yours not start back up at all?

Comment

it starts back up and idles fine. i pulled the codes again after the tps was replaced and it is still saying map sensor and coolant high input. check engine light went off as well.

Comment

Did it throw a code for the tps sensor also? If its throwing a code for a map and a coolant sensor that probably where your problem is. You need to get it on a scanner in real time mode and see what the map sensor is doing at 2500 rpm.

Comment

...so it was the cat. converter, now who knows where i can find an obd 2 cat that can pass california smog? i've already tried autozone and napa, neither of which can order it. thanks again, you guys have been really helpful.

Comment

Originally posted by RECON View Post
                        ...so it was the cat. converter, now who knows where i can find an obd 2 cat that can pass california smog? i've already tried autozone and napa, neither of which can order it. thanks again, you guys have been really helpful.
                        I'm putting an aftermarket cat on my '02 TJ 4 litre and the stock one I took off is still good. If it fits yours I sell it to you much cheaper than a new one.
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by RECON View Post
                          Pretty much any muffler shop for ~$200 installed.

Comment

I don't know all the details, but be careful about "cheap" cat converters. They may not meet CARB regulations when you have it smogged.
                            SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                            MJR moderator
                            MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                            Jeep Patrol Leader
                            Reforestation Supervisor
                            Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                            Eagle Scout

Comment

Working...
                            X