Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QD air fitting

I think I'll add a quick disconnect air fitting around the front bumper area. Since they don't do well with dirt, I was wondering if anyone has found a good one with extra sealing or caps to keep dirt out. I've found simple plugs to protect the end of the fitting, but the release collar gets dirt into the back side too. Any good finds or fixes?

zip tie a rubber over it?
    An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Mine has been hanging out front in the dirt for a year now without any trouble. Still you can go to OSh or a similar hardware store like ACE and in their small hardware stuff they have some rubber caps that will fit right over the air chuck.

Comment

Use a black rubber crutch tip to cover it, that's what the cool guys use to cover their OBA quick disconnects. They come in various diameters, just find one that matches yours. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. carry them.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Well the problem I've had is dirt getting into the slide-sleeve from the rear, locking it up. So most of these slide-on caps don't help in that respect. Until something better comes up, I think I'll use a small baggie and a rubber band.

I was actually hoping there was a dirt-proofed coupler out there, but I've seen no sign of it.

Comment

I've been running a pair of quick disconnects on my desert wheeler TJ's York OBA system for many years protected only by the rubber crutch tips. They cover the entire QD and do an excellent job of keeping the desert dust & grime out of them. You only need to select the right diameter crutch tip so there is a snug "perfect" fit as I had with mine.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

on my Warn powerplant they have a male as the hookup point, you put a hose with a quick coupler on either end to use it, keeps everything clean. you could cut in a shut off valve in front of it if you are using multiple air locations.

http://www.directindustry.com/prod/s...55-373195.html
              Last edited by blackZZR; 05-04-10, 02:22 PM.
              censored for having an opinion

Comment

Cover

I can vouch for the rubber chair leg type tip. Pushed a small hole through the centre of mine, pulled some cord through with a knot and tied it to a nearby point so I don't lose it when it is off either.

Comment

Actually a jeeper on another forum came up with the best solution so far. He took a short length of 1" heat shring tubing and sealed the slider to the body. He says it still flexes enough to operate normally. Then add one of your crutch tips to the front side, and the coupler is totally sealed.

Comment

Working...
                  X