Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Hauler Question...

[COLOR=blue]Moderators, if this is the wrong area, please feel free to move this for me to the right area.[/COLOR]

I am purchasing a car hauler to hook up behind my new RV (Jayco Greyhawk 31FK) with a beefed up and reinforced frame and hitch now ready for up to 12,500#. I will not ever tow anything near that capacity... I am looking at my Jeep CJ7 (about 4400# loaded) plus the water tanks (80 - 100 gallons * 8.5 = additional weight of the water)... so, approximately 6500 lbs. in total...

And by the way Ratpatrol... no more need to sleep out by the fire at IDTT... we should have a little room for you if you like... might even have some extra Patron...

My question is this... The Greyhawk has a, in my opinion, somewhat limiting fresh water tank of 40 gal's. So, I thought I would like to integrate qty (2) 40 - 50 gal water tanks onto my car hauler. Some have said I should mount them under the trailer near the axles... Others have recommended integrating them into the sides of the trailer... Some have mentioned installing them in the front of the trailer...

Does anyone on this board have any experience with this type of project?

Have you done it before?

How is it working out for you?

What kind of car hauler do you have?

What kind and brand of water tanks did you buy?

Where did you mount them?

Have pictures?

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Steve "Barney" "Booger" "Bully"... still have your trailer for sale?
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Water is about 8 1/2 lbs @ gal.
    I just carried extra water bottles(5-6 gals. ea. IIRC)to match the needs of my trip.
    Do hope you will have brakes on BOTH of the hauler's axles.
    Respectfully,
    LG
    Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Yep, LG... definitely plan to have brakes on both axles of the trailer.

Until I get the trailer all set up and everything, I will do exactly as you said... carry extra containers, 5 - 10 gallons each, of water to suit our needs...
      Regards,
      Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

Randy,

Congratulations on the motor home, Jayco is a quality manufacturer. Showers and kitchens use most of the water and 40 gallons isn't much for a MH that size. Typically the gray water tank will be close to the same size so you'll also run out of holding capacity.

Several companies make portable holding tanks. Thetford makes them up to 35 gallons with wheels and they're under $200.

Comment

Working...
        X