Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire swing opinions & ?

I have the DirtWorx rear tire swing bumper which, I like the way it looks but even with my 33's it rattles to much for me.

here's what it looks like.

My question is I am going to use the bumper and make a new tire swing. I want to get the tire as close to the tailgate as possibe. Still mount the gerry can's and hi-lift as well.

I was wondering how high the tire should be from the top of the bumper? Should i leave it at it's current height?

Also was thinking about offsetting the tire to the passenger side and then doubling up the gerry can's on the opposite side.Do you think that would cause any problems?

Sorry so long and thanks for any response!

When moving the tire to the passenger side make sure it will clear the tub and tail light. For the ratteling, first take the high lift off see if it still rattles. Those things can cause a lot of racket same goes for the gas cans, they look cool but for pretty much any local trail, there is no use for them and is just another item waiting to get stolen.
    Point is just leave the tire on the swing out and drive it see if it still rattles, if so try to find a destaco clamp or similar and mount it a 45 degree angle so it draws the swing out down and in so it locks tight

Comment

No it's the tire swing that moves back and fourth.

What kind of mount are you talking about? Where does it go?

Comment

I had a swing out that had rattle issues. I saw someone use a small rachet strap that went from one side of tub to the other. He had drilled some holes and put in a few eye bolts to hook into. I used that method for a year and it solved the rattle. Was a real inexpensive fix.
        Last edited by Jason; 04-09-10, 07:41 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have the same bumper/tire carrier as you. And I have tried the ratchet strap trick. And it works. But it makes it a real pain to open the rear door. And my YJ needs to open the tire carrier to fuel up so that sucks. I don't think that rearranging the weight on the tire carrier will do you much good. I have removed everything but my 33inch BFG and it still has that annoying rocking on the freeway that you can feel thru the whole Jeep. And on the other hand I have driven around with no tire and all the other gear on the tire carrier and feel not rocking. If I were really attached to this tire carrier I would try to find a way to add a second latch on the top. Adding a higher attachment point I think would keep the rocking from happening.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I have a body armor and it does not rattle. If you are gonna move your cans I saw a real nice set up yesterday. The guy had a cooler rack mounted above the tire and his jerry cans were mounted inside the cooler rack and they had a hinged mount that locked them in with a padlock. They were laying on their side(the skinny side not the fat side) that way he still had some storage space inside the rack.
            I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

Originally posted by platnumb4x View Post
              I have a body armor and it does not rattle. If you are gonna move your cans I saw a real nice set up yesterday. The guy had a cooler rack mounted above the tire and his jerry cans were mounted inside the cooler rack and they had a hinged mount that locked them in with a padlock. They were laying on their side(the skinny side not the fat side) that way he still had some storage space inside the rack.
              You knew this was coming....Only because that's on my list.

Comment

by the looks of your tires i dont think this is your issue but for forums search sake i had huge vibration issues with my tire carrier so much so that it even cracked a weld. turned out i needed to balence my tires lol.
                KB1UTG (keep being one ultimate tough guy)

Comment

Scott do a google search for De Staco clamps
                  It gets used on quite a few swing out tire carriers by manufacturers

Comment

i made my own. its a triangle design. nothing fancy. made of 2x2 3/16th's steel with a AtoZ fab spindle. i then got two small 90degree tabs and bolted one to where the old tire carrier bolted to(just one of the bolt holes) and bolted the other to the backside of the carrier. i run a bolt through them and my carrier doesnt even jiggle let alone wiggle.!
                    to get in, i have to pull that bolt, its on a wingnut, but i hardly get in there anyways.

Last edited by brokenujoint; 04-09-10, 08:51 AM. Reason: feel like it
                    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

since you already have a tire system just come up with some way of tying your carrier to the tailgate to prevent the rattles. it would have to be some kind of latch or bolt set up. anything else would still vibrate. how about a pic of between the tail gate and the carrier for inspiration.
                      1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

You knew this was coming....Only because that's on my list.
                        I hope this works I'm not too good at uploading the pictures I have more of a failure rate than a success rate. The first pictures are after a long day of wheeling with Roger...Had a great time. The second set of pictures were taken when I bought it. I painted both the front and rear bumper Satin Black.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yeah it worked. Here you go Ron...LOL!

Chuck

Comment

This is why Jeep included a radio. If it rattles too loud, just turn it up! :beer:
                            An XJ will always cost you less then any girl ever will, and you will always know when the spark is gone.

Comment

Unfortunatly this is not so much a rattle that you hear it's a rattle that you feel. It feels like surging from a bad drive shaft on the freeway.
                              Those left standing
                              Will make millions
                              Writing books on ways
                              It should have been
                              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Working...
                              X