Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transfercase clearance

I've been having some problems shifting my t/c, when i get it in 4 hi it was noisie.so i check the fluid and it's dry! I start dumping atf in it and the fluid immedietly starts dripping off the skid plate, WHAT THE HELL? the po installed the 4" lift kit or had it installed. well long story short the t/c was rubbing on the skid plate and wore a hole in the T/c just below and to the right of the drain plug. I looked under the wifes 90yj and there is plenty of clearance. My yj has a 1 1/2" square tubing between the frame and skid plate to drop the t/c. so my question is why is the t/c riding on the skid plate. did they miss part of the trans mount? I have a ax15 and another 231 i'm going to install later and i dont want this problem again! patching the one that's in the jeep with jb weld to try to get by till i'm ready to do the ax15 swap. wonder if it will hold? also stuck a piece of square stock between t/c and skid, gained about 3/8" clearance. Any ideas why it so tight?
    Rich.:gun:
    The only thing i can think is when the po changed the clutch is he didn't put the trans mount in. is it possible to bolt the trans directly to the skid plate? guess i'll look at that in the morning.as the t/c was laying on the very back of the skid plate
    Last edited by 4rheel; 04-07-10, 10:40 PM.
    But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

the po installed the 4" lift kit
    Who is the "PO". I would be very upset with them whoever they are.
    I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

the preveious owner Border brother never again
      Last edited by 4rheel; 04-07-10, 11:01 PM.

Comment

well that sucks for u rich. ha ha. just kidding. well at least we know why ur mess was all fuct up. just for the hell of it why did u decide to put oil in it now. why not when u first found out about it. who knows how long it was like that. oh and just so u know ive been told that 30 wieght oil is better than atf.

Comment

I was told the same thing about 30 weight but I believed at the time the source was rather unreliable?
          I'll keep my money, guns and freedom...you can keep the "Change".

Comment

i just checked it today and found it dry, just started having problems. it never leaked since i've had it,whats that tell ya? good thing i have a ax15 and a231 with sye to throw in it.
            Rich:gun:
            i'll be up and runn'in by noon tomarrow
            Last edited by 4rheel; 04-07-10, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by platnumb4x View Post
              I was told the same thing about 30 weight but I believed at the time the source was rather unreliable?
              I have also heard the 30W oil too (same person?). But, then I talked to someone who disagreed 100%. So, I felt saving the small amount of money wasn't worth a new TC. I ended up with Royal Purple AT from Napa.

Comment

They need ATF. Motor oil is too thick when cold to properly lubricate the tiny roller bearings inside the thing.

Comment

Working...
                X