Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elect questions about 88 limited XJ

does anyone know if the 88 limited XJ with multiport injection is computer controlled and also if it should have a "check engine" light or such on the dash cluster? A friend wants to know as he is getting ready to get a smog at a "test only" station.

Also for my info, would an 88 XJ have a 4.0 or 4.2 in it and would a long block from it work in my 96 XJ?
    Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

The answer to the second question is: 4.0 and a 96 long block will work.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The service manual says there is a check engine light. Not sure where it is. It should come on then the key is in the "ON" position w/o the engine running.
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The 88 long block will work? My plan was to put my head and intake on the 88 4.0. No problem with that?
        Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

Should be. I believe they changed in 2000 or 2001 when the came out with coil on plug. 87 till then should be the same, boss wise.
          Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

the intakes changed as well

Comment

I should be getting a chance to look at it some time this week. As for now, I am tearing down the top end of mine to see if my problem is a bad wrist pin. Hopefully it is...that would be an easy fix.

Comment

The 88 uses the Renix fuel injection system. It does have a check engine light but it doesn't store codes like other systems. So if it's an intermittent problem, you'll only get the code when it's happening.

I'm not to familiar with intake swaps, but the 96 uses a completely different system then the Renix. Although it'll run better and cleaner, it won't pass smog due to the newer system not having EGR. However, you could talk to a smog referee and get a CARB sticker for it saying you swapped in a 96 4.0 motor and never mentioning that the block is an 88.
                We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

Working...
                X