Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Currie HD Steering Installed..Pitman Arm Breaks (pics)

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Currie HD Steering Installed..Pitman Arm Breaks (pics)

I finnally got my Currie HD Steering Kit installed and I cannot say enough about its quality and durability. My extreme wander/popping/cracking/wobbling has been completly cured and I can actually enjoy driving it now. But just one day later my pitman arm breaks (200 miles from home). It was the stock arm that broke and I am going to order a 4inch drop pitman arm as a replacment to lessen my steering angles. Was it the new HD steering parts that put alot more stress on the pitman arm and that is why it broke? Also Is a 4inch drop pitman arm the correct lenth for my lift height? (see sig)

Went camping at Lake San Antonio this weekend and did some mild offroading.

While driving back to camp I go to turn and the steering wheel turns all the way upside down and I continue going strait. Turns out the top of the pitman arm where it connects to the steering box snaped.

94' XJ,4.0,Tera Low 4:1
    D44/9inch, Locked, 36x14.50 TSL's and way to much lift

DOH! That sucks. As for the pitman arm, I DONT think a 4 inch drop is correct. Your drag link needs to be parallel with your track bar. If they or off it will cause bumpsteer. Looking at your pics, it looks like the stock pitman arm is the correct arm, as far as I can see. It look parallel to me.
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Just curious what was the trail fix for the busted pitman arm? Did you take it off and weld it back together? If so, is it made of cast iron or steel?

Thanks in advance as it seems like one of the more common "big" breaks out there.
      Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
      2003 TJ Rubicon: 4.5" OME coils; RE SF2; NthDegree TT/oilpan skid/shock shifters; FXD rock rails; Anti-Rock; 5150'

Comment

Originally posted by jmbrowning
        Just curious what was the trail fix for the busted pitman arm? Did you take it off and weld it back together? If so, is it made of cast iron or steel?

Thanks in advance as it seems like one of the more common "big" breaks out there.
        There was and still is no fix. I had to get it towed 200 miles back to Santa Barbara. Using multible AAA cards and 3 tow trucks. Took about 7 hours to get back :-(

Now that I look at it, it seems that my pitman arm is longer than a stock one. Maybe the one that broke was a drop pitman arm? Anyone have a picture of a stock pitman arm for comparison?
        94' XJ,4.0,Tera Low 4:1
        D44/9inch, Locked, 36x14.50 TSL's and way to much lift

Comment

i think your stock pitman arm is a "drop" pitman arm for other jeeps.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

The currie HD looks real nice, I just got the JKS UCA and LCA and willbe shortly getting a track bar and steering help. SO you really like the Currie?
            BLACK~96~XJ~4.0~4X4
            Intake, Banks Header,
            Old Man Emu 3" Lift w/ JKS UCA & LCA
            A/R 797 15X8 wraped w/FireStone Destination MT 31"
            HighAngle CV Drive shaft
            R.E SYE ~ with more to come.

Comment

that IS a drop pitman arm on there . you need to return this to the manufacturer of the lift . I have never seen an arm break at the splines before . this is a manufacturing defect , IMO .

JIM :{>

Comment

Working...
              X