Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ Alternator swap

I have a 87' yj 4.2l with a delco 78 amp alternator. Is there a higher amp alternator that bolts on? If so do you have a part number or make and modle it goes on?

You are looking for the 136 amp alternator. It is part number :56027913. It came in these vehicles.

97-98 Dodge B.Series Van
    97-98 Dodge Dakota
    98 Dodge Durango
    97-98 Dodge Ram Pickup
    97-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I know because I need the same one. My alternator is making noise. =(

It is a direct bolt on but you do have to pull the wires off your alternator and swap them over to the new one. Its not hard. One screw I think. The pully on these alternators are for a seven groove serp belt and your YJ had a 6 groove. Most people I have seen do this just use the 7 groove pully but you can swap you pully off your 78amp alternator if it bothers you.
    Last edited by OU812; 03-18-10, 01:39 PM.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

That swap wont work on the 4.2L motors, completely different alternator/charging systems.

For the 4.2L crowd we need mid 80's-early 90's gm alternators. Look for caddi's and caprices with lots of options in the jy. should be 136amp csi alternators. do not free spin the pulleys with no load.
      i have list somewhere of specific models(was 20-30 different ones) ill dig it up when i get a chance.
      "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
        You are looking for the 136 amp alternator. It is part number :56027913. It came in these vehicles.

97-98 Dodge B.Series Van
        97-98 Dodge Dakota
        98 Dodge Durango
        97-98 Dodge Ram Pickup
        97-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I know because I need the same one. My alternator is making noise. =(

It is a direct bolt on but you do have to pull the wires off your alternator and swap them over to the new one. Its not hard. One screw I think. The pully on these alternators are for a seven groove serp belt and your YJ had a 6 groove. Most people I have seen do this just use the 7 groove pully but you can swap you pully off your 78amp alternator if it bothers you.
        Napa Part numbers:
        97-98 Dodge Dakota - RAY 2138632 6 grove pulley included.

Comment

Originally posted by lakev2 View Post
          That swap wont work on the 4.2L motors, completely different alternator/charging systems.

For the 4.2L crowd we need mid 80's-early 90's gm alternators. Look for caddi's and caprices with lots of options in the jy. should be 136amp csi alternators. do not free spin the pulleys with no load.
          i have list somewhere of specific models(was 20-30 different ones) ill dig it up when i get a chance.
          Opps. I'm glad one of us is paying attention.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

again, the newer dodge stuff will not swap with the 4.2L alternator/charging system, different animal than the 4.0 system.

Link to actual swap with more info than you will ever need for the CS140 alternator>> http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums...rnator+upgrade

Still looking for my list of donors. must be saved on my work computer...

Comment

Curt,

I upgraded my alternator in my 88YJ a couple of years ago when I did my engine swap. I went with the 140 amp Powermaster Alternator. It was recommended as a good upgrade and had a double amp rating over the stock one. I have had zero problems with it, it was a direct bolt in, and runs 4 55w rock lites plus 2 8" KC's, 2 6" KC's , Delta headlites along with the CB and the stereo. Try 4 Wheel Parts with part #POW57294. About $175 bucks. Didn't look for a cheap way, just a reliable heavy duty way.

Mitch

Comment

The guy that was across the street from the rock/cement place on Bear Valley "hi-grade" told me years ago you can re-wire the alt and bring the amps up. He had a cheap price if I remember. Maybe that's an option too? For the 4.0 guys (like me) and the 4.2 guys as well. Just a thought.

Comment

Rebuild alternators and adding higher amps is very possible if you find a competent shop to have do it. It does not cost much from what I have seen on average.

Comment

I have a brand new alterstart alternator for an 88 yj 4 cyl. I'm not sure if it is the same part for your jeep.
                    I'll check into it tomorrow.
                    This is ~160 amp. I'll confirm.

I bought this for my wife's jeep and never put it in before selling hte jeep.
                    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Thanks guys for all the great info.... now lets see what I can do with it.

Comment

Thanks again for all the great input.
                        I went with a cs144 124 amp alternator and only had to modify the bracket slightly (I have a/c in my Jeep)and buy an adapter from Napa to go from SI to CS.

Comment

hey cbz692 did you use the old style or new style cs 144 alternator? the old style has issues with the rear bearing prematurely going out when there is a constant load on it or its constantly taxed. the newer style cs144 has a bigger bearing and more surface area for cooling. if you have the older style dont despair, you can locate the newer style cs144 at the bone yard and swap the back half of the alternator (very easy). they are found on 1993 o 1998 camaro and gm trucks with the v8 in them. fyi

Comment

Im glad it worked out for you, I still need to make a jy run for one of those and a 4.0 head swap. I am such a web tech sometimes, I do tons of research on stuff i want to do, then think about it forever before i do it. haha.

Comment

I used a BBB 8142-10 for a 1995 chevy P42 step van. I run 4 55 watts offroad lights. before when I turned them all on my lights dimmed and the idle dropped even with my A/C on, now it doesn't.... so far so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X