Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanted / ax15 231 combo

as soon as i sell this litter of labs, i'll be ready to buy a ax15 to replace my ba10/5. where can i pick up a combo ready to bolt in. 4.2 engine Rich.
    But can we SURVIVE 2 more years?

rich u already have the 231 all u need is the trans.

Comment

He is having some issues getting it into 4x4 sometimes. I wonder if it's his chain? Or the linkage?

Comment

i think it is his vaccum disconect. if it is. then swapping the tcase wont help either way hell have to check the lines.

Comment

If it's the '87, he probably has the 207. Take out the front d/s and put try to put it in 4 low. If it locks in and runs the low gears, try 4 hi. It should drive normal. Look at the shifter location. If it is off for either location, loosen the linkages and put the t-case in 4 low from underneath. Put the shifter in the detent for 4 low. Go back underneath and tighten the linkages when you feel no pressure or binding. This should set your linkage. If in doubt, do it again in 2wd. Now, to test 4 wheel. Put the front d/s back in, activate 4 high and try to back up a steep, loose grade like a gravel pile. If you just spin the backs, your front has a problem. (probably disco)
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

I do in fact have a 231 amc , it engages when i can get the lever to move. the linkage seems to jam at the most inoppertune time.(Ron jeep4cern just called and he offered some ideas) Thanx Ron. gonna check it out tomrrow. if the tc is ok i'll still need a ax15 and need to change from 21 to 23 spline on the tc.

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
              If it's the '87, he probably has the 207. Take out the front d/s and put try to put it in 4 low. If it locks in and runs the low gears, try 4 hi. It should drive normal. Look at the shifter location. If it is off for either location, loosen the linkages and put the t-case in 4 low from underneath. Put the shifter in the detent for 4 low. Go back underneath and tighten the linkages when you feel no pressure or binding. This should set your linkage. If in doubt, do it again in 2wd. Now, to test 4 wheel. Put the front d/s back in, activate 4 high and try to back up a steep, loose grade like a gravel pile. If you just spin the backs, your front has a problem. (probably disco)
              Great ideas. Nice detail too. That along with checking the oil is a good start.

Originally posted by 4rheel View Post
              I do in fact have a 231 amc , it engages when i can get the lever to move. the linkage seems to jam at the most inoppertune time.(Ron jeep4cern just called and he offered some ideas) Thanx Ron. gonna check it out tomrrow. if the tc is ok i'll still need a ax15 and need to change from 21 to 23 spline on the tc.
              Welcome

Comment

Rich, I see from your profile that you have a 4" suspension lift? I assume you're also using a t-case lowering kit. The t-case lowering kit can cause issues with the the t-case shift linkage. The linkage is adjustable, and there are also kits to "upgrade" the linkage so that it works better. If you're having some issues getting it into and keeping it in 4WD (especially 4-Low), the linkage is a likely culprit.
                holes = cowbell

Comment

not sure if it has a tc lowering kit, i bought the jeep already lifted, how can i tell if the kit is there. Thanx Rich.

Comment

Without a transfer case lowering kit, the tranny skidplate/ crossmember will be bolted up flush to the bottom of the frame. Lowering kits usually take the form of some 1" tall cylindrical aluminum spacers or possibly a rectangular steel tube spacer. The former will leave a visible, open gap between the crossmember and the frame, while the latter will not.
                    holes = cowbell

Comment

I have the lowering kit if needed. The better one. PM if your interested.

Comment

not sure if it has a tc lowering kit, i bought the jeep already lifted, how can i tell if the kit is there. Thanx Rich.
                        Rich, It could be something like these. If you were still at the Island fixing my drywall we could check.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...w=lowering+kit
                        Check out .

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                          Rich, It could be something like these. If you were still at the Island fixing my drywall we could check.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...w=lowering+kit
                          Hey Chuck, nice to hear from you. Wish i was still at the Island. i haven't worked in months. looks like the tc lowering kit is in place.looking for ax15 to replace the ba/10.hope to see ya soon.
                          Thanks Ron for the offer.finally got that windshield frame from the boneyard, for the wardens yj. i hate torx bolts.

inVERt'D thanks for your input,read your post and had no problem locating the tc lowering kit.

Comment

i was at the island with rich.

Comment

Hey Chuck, nice to hear from you. Wish i was still at the Island. i haven't worked in months. looks like the tc lowering kit is in place.looking for ax15 to replace the ba/10.hope to see ya soon.
                              Thanks Ron for the offer.finally got that windshield frame from the boneyard, for the wardens yj. i hate torx bolts.

inVERt'D thanks for your input,read your post and had no problem locating the tc lowering kit.
                              Glad you got it out w/out a can of whip a$$. Your lucky HB is so close (by my house too).

Comment

Working...
                              X