Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• winding noise

ok so yesterday i bought a 96 grand cherokee. it looks and runs excellent but one thing i noticed is that when im driving at low speeds it kinda has a winding noise to it. sounds like its coming from the middle or rear end of it. maybe im just being paranoid cuz i just bought it. but my question is does anyone know what axles and t case it comes with. its the all wheel drive with the 5.2 in it. first all wheel for me. i also was wondering if the axles are the same as a regular 4by or are they different because of the all wheel drive. i was under the impression that its all in the tcase but i could be wrong. any info is helpful. just wondering about the winding noise mostly. its not even really noticeable but just checking to make sure nothing is wrong.

A "winding" noise? Like a clicking you'd get when winding something up? Could you mean a whining sound?
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

All 96 ZJs with the 5.2 came with the 249 transfer case, CV joint front driveshaft and CV joint front axles.

Turn tight figure 8s in a parking lot. If there is any binding your viscous coupler in the 249 is bad. If the boots are broken on your axle CVs the joints are probably dry and need replacing.
      Over 2500 hours donated to the San Bernardino National Forest. Life member of CA4WD, CORVA & BRC. Tread Lightly Trainer. Reforestation Supervisor. CASSP

Comment

yeah its a whining noise like a ford rear end. like i said maybe its nothing. its not very noticeable.

Comment

Another thing I've noticed is every Chrysler Auto Trans I've driven has a whining noise at low speeds.
          We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

its weird sounds more like a howl. but only when i let off of the gas.

Comment

Rear ends howl on decel when bad sometimes
              An ugly Jeep with some stuff.....

Comment

yeah i checked all the fluids rear axle was fine the front was way low and the t case was a little low. im going to drive it to see what it is. if i still hear it ill run it by kens and let him check it out.

Comment

Checked on www.ringpinion.com and www.differentials.com Both agreed that excessive play in the preload will cause a howl while decelerating. You need to know if you can adjust your shims, or if you have a crush sleeve. I found a post from a guy with a Jag who wrote up a home brew way to tighten a crush sleve to regain lost preload. They're both band-aids on wearing parts, but can get those of us celebrating the recession back on the go in a way we can afford.
                  Last edited by 6spdYJ; 03-07-10, 08:25 PM. Reason: I am not a smart man...
                  God forgives, rocks don't
                  -sons of thunder

Comment

i took it by kens house (the jeep guy online). its the @$#^&@& rear end. he thinks its the bearings. jacked up the ass end and the whell had lots of play when he moved it around. @#$% ME. not sure about what to do either have him rebuild it or go to the junk yard and get another one.

Comment

Be glad it's the back and not the front. It's easier to swap out and upgrade. A lot of the Grands came with the aluminum case 44. If you have that, you're not loosing to throw in an 8.8. If it's just the wheel bearing, replace it. But look up the decelerating howl. It shouldn't be that bad of a fix.

On that topic, on a 44, does anyone know a safe amount of shims to pull to tighten preload a few pounds?
                      -sons of thunder

Comment

yeah its the 44a i was told. im just going to find a replacement or have ken fix it.

Comment

If it was me, I'd look for a replacement. The aluminum internals are different from a standard 44. But, if it's just a preload reset and you're only street driving... Make the best of it.
                          -sons of thunder

Comment

yeah its only going to be for my wife to drive. i have my own toy. i would really like to learn how to set up the rearend my self that way i can do all my own axle setups.

Comment

Working...
                            X