Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TJ: Emergency Hardware Kit

I'm interested in creating a grab-bag of nuts, bolts, etc, if/when I have to perform an off-road repair. Any suggestions on what to put in parts kit?

Whatever you leave out will be the first part that you need.

Comment

trail repair ready

Originally posted by mab1632 View Post
      I'm interested in creating a grab-bag of nuts, bolts, etc, if/when I have to perform an off-road repair. Any suggestions on what to put in parts kit?
      This is a highly debatable subject to say the least. However, Over the years I have seen guy's carry so many things in case there rig breaks on a trail it is unreal. Some are so well prepared in case of just about anything and when something happens it is always great to have them around. However, some are the opposite and provided you already have hand tools for a small amount of money 100 bucks or less it is actually the bare essentials that can save your butt most of the time when a rig be it yours or a fellow off roaders breaks on the trail. To start with, a good tire plug kit with lots of extra plugs one that has the screw on steel handles not the molded plastic ones. Tire valve stems,oil for the motor, trans and differentials as well as the good blue RTV silicone and a few large zip lock bags for the old oil if needed when ripping your differential apart. Extra U-joints for your drive shaft and front axles. Some wire and electrical tape, zip ties, two small ratchet straps and one large. Any auto parts store has hole putty for if you put a hole in your oil pan, automatic transmission pan, radiator or gas tank. And can't forget water and many do for some reason. I also carry a spare complete axle assemblies for the front differential,on board air and so on as well. And remember, try to work on your rig in a place so others can still drive through the trail if possible. I use a large ice chest to carry all this stuff in (not counting axles)and it is all well strapped down in case anything happens and there is more depending on what kind of rig you drive also. This is just a basic list. Some guy's have a on board welder and more. This list can be endless.
      Last edited by Matt2001TJ; 02-21-10, 06:09 PM.
      "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

I carry my old Radiator hoses, belt, Hose clamps, stat and a cap. And enough tools to change them.

They say 85% of breakdowns are cooling system related. This may not be correct for you axle breakers though.

Got to use a radiator cap on the trail yesterday. One in our group had a cap that had the rubber seal so swelled that it would not hold pressure. I had a 7lb cap which got him through the day. Was 7lbs more than he had and raised his boiling point to 233F instead of 212F.

Comment

Pepboys used to sell plastic hose spices for radiator hoses those make for a nice trail fix

Comment

The MOST IMPORTANT thing you want to take with you while wheeling has little to do with your vehicle.
            Its water!
            2nd to that is elemental protection and communication.

With that said, things to carry with you that will help you mechanically is mostly determined w/how your rig is built.

If you have a build set of dana 60's, and are exploring desert mines, you probably dont need axles. IF you have a dana35, you'll want some rope and some tree branches..
            I like to take hose repair kits, electrical repair kits,fluids,belts, tire plug kit, tool kit, recovery stuff, cell phone, money and if i cant talk to some kind of ranger beforehand, I like to tell people when i'm leaving and when i'll return and where i'll be.
            And sometimes you cant, but preferably, dont wheel alone.
            1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by mab1632 View Post
              It's rare and unlikely that you will need whole set of fasteners for any one item. With that in mind as others have pointed out, it's very easy to load yourself down trying to carry everything, so don't.

I carry a lower control arm bolt and nut as well as one set for an upper control arm. I also carry the following to add in and that also have multiple applications.

1 shock bolt
              3/8" grade 8 bolts and nuts, 4 or 5 in various lengths
              1/2" grade 8 bolts and nuts, short one and a long one about 4" long

If you can't kludge something back together with those, the bolt is likely too specific to find a spare anyway.

A roll of quality electrical tape and fuses specific to your rig

A few smallish rolls of various gauges of electrical wire and a roll of duct tape.

After that, you can carry as much or as little as you like. Keep in mind that the more you carry, the harder it is to keep track of.
              I am Savvy.

Comment

emergency tool kit

Great advice. Thanks All !

Comment

My experience has been that you should take a full set of tools... at least 1 bottle of every fluid you could potentially need... at least 1 full set of wheel bearings, races, etc... extra set of hoses, radiator, fuel lines, heater lines, etc... extra fuel filter or two... and extra fan belt or two... at least one full set of spring bolts (grade 8 always)... also throw in random size bolts and nuts and washers for the "you never know what might come up and bite you" occasion... and make sure to take along with you an Aart, Chuck, Kurt, Trent, Steve, Fred, Bill, Lumpy Grits, or Invert'd... because all of the tools and extra parts are worthless without the expertise to know what to do with them... :smile:
                  Regards,
                  Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

Comment

All good advice. I will only add to the list a relay and maybe some vital engine controls. I carry an ign. coil, thottle postion sensor, crankshaft sensor, and a spare PCM on long trips.
                    Check out .

Comment

Tire plug kit like from Safety Seal. Mine has saved my butt more than a few times.

The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Get that from trail gear. only $18.
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

A small tarp for laying on under your Jeep is good to have. You never know what you might be laying in...
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                            A small tarp for laying on under your Jeep is good to have. You never know what you might be laying in...
                            Not only that but having a tarp on the ground is much better for when you have a bunch of tools laying next to you too. After one early repair job before I threw a tarp into my tool box, it took some serious time after I got home to get all my tools cleaned of all the dirt & sand that got into them.
                            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Emergency Repair Kit --- SUMMARY

You've offered great suggestions! I've collected them into the following list, in case anyone wants to go shopping ...

>>> Tools (Tool set, torx drivers, hi-lift jack and blocks)

>>> Recovery equipment (straps, clevises, snatch block, rope, come-along, etc)

>>> Tire parts (Tire repair kit w/screw on metal handles , Valve stems, On board air (compressor or CO2?))

>>> Consumables (oil, water, transmission fluid, brake fluid, fuel filter, …)

>>> Electrical parts (repair kit, fuses, wire, tape, relay)

>>> Engine parts (ignition coil, throttle position sensor, crankshaft sensor, PCM, Radiator cap, Wheel bearings)

>>> Drive train parts (Spare axle, U-joints)

>>> Rubber parts (Radiator hoses and/or hose repair kit, belts, clamps, fuel line, heater hose)

>>> Fasteners (shock bolt, 3/8” bolts & nuts selection, ½” bolts & nuts selection, spring bolts, --- all grade 8)

>>> Universal tools (Hole putty, Duct tape, Tarp, Cell phone, money (coin & bills))

Comment

Working...
                              X