Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Swaybar disconnects???

Does anyone disconnect the rear swaybar? Why / why not?

I don't even have a rear sway bar on my Jeep, hardly a difference in handling. And comparing flex between before and after, I don't see a difference.
    We tried to make the world idiot proof. Now we just have a world full of idiots.

Comment

I have them. Personally, I noticed a difference with and without on the street, so, I have them on my jeep to disconnect.

Comment

Jeep flexes fine with the rear swaybar hooked up.
        It helps keep it from leaning when you are offcamber offroad, not a great help, but it does help

Comment

They do limit flex somewhat--usually enough to keep your rear coils from falling out.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

Leave the rear antiswaybar connected whether you are on or offroad.

If you haven't noticed, front antiswaybar quick disconnects are common as fleas on an old dog but that's not the case for the rear antiswaybar. TKS used to make rear disconnects but they were a product without a need so not many were sold. I don't even think they are sold any longer. That's because with the TJ's coil spring suspension, there is NO benefit to disconnecting the rear antiswaybar. As a matter of fact, there are drawbacks to disconnecting the rear antiswaybar. The TJ's rear antiswaybar can actually help prevent a flop or a rollover on extremely off camber or steep terrain. Plus it can actually help balance the front & rear suspensions so they work together instead of sometimes fighting each other.

Also, disconnecting the rear antiswaybar doesn't increase its usable articulation. That is because you lose much of the downforce on the tire on the ground when the antiswaybar is not there to help push the tire down onto the ground to help it maintain contact with the ground for better traction.

To show that even the hardcore competitive TJ drivers run with rear antiswaybars (front too with antiswaybars like the Antirock), here is John Currie's Fireant TJ he won the ARCA US National Rockcrawling championship with.

I took these pictures of his Jeep at the event in Johnson Valley Calif. purposely to show his rear antiswaybar for those who question its need.

Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 02-21-10, 01:05 PM.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Put on an anti rock Bill. You'll like the results.
              >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
              ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Working...
              X