Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel rubbing control arm

When I turn all the way to the left, my driver side front tire rubs a bit on the control arm. Is this do to too much back spacing on the rim? 4.5" is the back spacing or can I limit the amount of radius???

Thanx in advance for your input. Billy

add 1 or 2 washers under the steering stop bolt on the knuckle

Comment

It is ok for it to touch it, but not RUB it.
      You want to get all of the steering you have available to you on the trail, so, a little touching is ok as long as you know it is taking place.

Otherwise, you can back out the "stop" as suggested in the previous post.

Is it only one tire doing the rubbing?
      Are you 100% certain the front end is centered under the jeep? you should confirm this first.
      >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
      ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

axel centered under the jeep is a good question... since i installed the adjustable track bar i havent actually measured it only eyeballed it !
        i may need to shorten the trackbar a bit. what is a good referance point? frame rail to inside of tire?

Comment

Originally posted by spearheadbill View Post
          axel centered under the jeep is a good question... since i installed the adjustable track bar i havent actually measured it only eyeballed it !
          i may need to shorten the trackbar a bit. what is a good referance point? frame rail to inside of tire?
          On mine, we just did our best to find equal points to measure from . . . I think we used the a spot on the frame and the little line on the tire from the mold as it was the same on all the tires.
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Find center between the "C's" and mark on the axle.
            clamp a flat bar between the frame rails, find center between them, hang a plumb bob and adjust accordingly.
            >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
            ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Since it rubs the control arm only when you make a left turn, add one or two washers under the steering bolt stop on the right side of the Jeep. And yep, a wheel with 4.5" of BS will cause that, I used to run wheels with that much BS & I had to add two washers under the steering bolt stops on both sides. It's a little surprising it doesn't also rub when you turn to the right but all Jeeps are a little different it seems.

Here's how... http://www.4x4xplor.com/steerstop.html

Do make sure your axle is centered first too but you'll still probably need a washer or two under the steering bolt stop even if you make the axle a little more centered.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

thanx alot guys.
                i'm going to get bizzy with these suggestions and i'll let you know what i find....

i really appreciate all your experience and hope to pass it on to someone when i can as well.

Comment

I say let 'em rub. I let mine rub 'cuz it keeps the control arms from getting rusty where the powder coat wore off. :homer:
                  holes = cowbell

Comment

hey there inverted.. i notice your location says Anza. do you live in anza borrego, borrego springs? just wondering

Comment

Anza as in 92539. It's part of the Anza-Borrego area in some sense, but it's outside of the state park proper. It's a lot more landlocked than LB, that's for sure. When I was in the San Diego area I used to wheel and sail. Now I just wheel. Nice fish, btw.
                      holes = cowbell

Comment

i havd that problem with my tires too. i bought a 4.5 inch rough country lift. rough country lift specs call for a whell with 3.75 back spacing. but i looked at r.e. 4.5 inch lift specs and they call for i belive 4.0 or more backspace. i got wheels with 3.75 backspace and problem solved. or if u like the wheels u have u can add wheel spacers.

Comment

Working...
                        X