Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neutral saftey Switch just started working

Had my 84 cj7 for a year now. Had the tranny rebuilt about 3 months ago. Switch has never worked. did the nutter bypass. two days ago and every day had to short around the selenoid at least once to get it to start. one of those times in a crowded W-mart parking lot with my kid in the jeep, ran over my foot with the pass side front tire and bearly got into it and stopped b4 I hit a parked car. (1ft maybe less). Thought it was the selenoid or the battery was low from all the electrical work and testing. found out this morn at 3.45 am that I am not going all the way into park and now the N/S switch decides to work. WTF over....

The shifter cable length is pretty simple to adjust which will fix it from being intermittent.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

a few more details, please. where is the shifter cable. it is pretty cold out, the less time looking the better. thanks

Comment

The shifter cable, only for automatics of course, connects the shifter to the transmission. It's a pretty heavy & stiff cable protected by a vinyl sheath.

Its length is typically adjusted where the cable attaches to the transmission. My newer TJ's adjustment is done by releasing an adjustment lock & moving the cable further in or out as needed. Since cables usually stretch a tad, the usual adjustment is to tighen/shorten them a little. It's done from under the Jeep & you will likely have to remove the t-case skidplate to get to it. I'm not familiar with CJ-7s so I'm only assuming yours is not much different than any other Jeep with an automatic.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Actually the auto in a Cj with column shift will have a shift rod coming from the column. at the end of that rod will be a bolt/attachment attaching it to a linkage on the trans.

loosen that bolt. place shifter fully in park. manually ensure that linkage on trans is fully in park.
          tighten bolt.

test.

If your problem is still intermittent. test the switch on the trans itself. There is an electric switch that is on/off when the linkage in the transmission is moved.

Check the haynes/chilton/autozone manuals for specifics on testing your neutral safety switch.

most important of all, fix it, sounds a bit dangerous the way your doing it at this time.
          "It's Not Rocket Surgery"

Comment

Working...
          X