Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got it. Any ideas where to get a good diagram?

Comment

I thought Chiltons had wiring diagrams in them. It may be difficult to find ground points from a wiring diagram. It would only show what is being grounded, not where it's grounded. Trial and error and a whole lot of time. This may be a shot in the dark, but you may want to start with the main chasis ground. I had a Chevy Silverado cause all kinds of issues with a lose but not too lose chasis ground on the front of the engine block to chasis. Took a mechanic a day or two to find it because he wasn't looking for the "simple" problem, more looking for the complicated issue.
      Some say that if you listen to the little voices, you are open minded, if you answer them, you belong in a white padded room. I say, have a conversation!!

Comment

The chiltons isn't my favorite one because it's not complete and I can't find one on alldata. The good diagrams they have are more for obd2 but I guess between the 2 of them I'd get a usable one

Comment

Take the turn signal bulbs out and check them for continuity. Also check for corrosion in the sockets. Any resistance at the bulb will cause the current to back-feed and go wherever it can get to ground the easiest. I fought this for weeks in the past and found both dirty sockets and burned bulbs. Straightened it right out.
          God forgives, rocks don't
          -sons of thunder

Comment

The haynes manual has a couple of actual schematics. If you need it right away, PM me and I can scan it and send it to you.
            God forgives, rocks don't
            -sons of thunder

Comment

dont drive at night and never turn left..... simple enough fix
              1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

lots of good input in these pages. the bottom line on wiring with the ground is cost (as usual) you run the hot to the load and a ground to the switch and then to the chassis instead of the back to the load. saves on wire. AMC and VW always think cheap.... AND LESS CHANCE OF SPARK, FIRE AND HIGHER REPAIR COST

(Bat)____________________(Load)_________ |switch|_____(G)

Done

Bat________________________Load__________ switch__________________LOAD_____________________G ROUND

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
                  dont drive at night and never turn left..... simple enough fix
                  Hahaha I wish it were that easy. I'm ready to leave the house already (330 am) so I guess I don't need the turn signals yet but on the way home it's one right turn and like 8 lefts but it's day time and then I don't really drive after that. So maybe it is that simple. Besides I drive in Ca, who uses there turn signals anyway

Comment

Originally posted by 6spdYJ View Post
                    The haynes manual has a couple of actual schematics. If you need it right away, PM me and I can scan it and send it to you.
                    I think I have the haynes manual somewhere in the garage but I'll defiantly let you know if I need it

Comment

I'm late in the game at this point but in my experience with troubleshooting these problems is that it is always something simple .. first thang..

check ground wire from the battery to the body make sure it is corrosion free and also check your battery connections. corrosion there could make wacky things happen.

I always use a relay on everything that needs a switch. lights, fans etc. sounds like overkill but it will insure switches won't fail when accessories are most needed.

my question for you is there an alarm in the vehicle? I have seen alarms cause weird stuff like this when they go bad.

good luck
                      You can lead a horse to water, but it might drown

Comment

I had a similar issue. Check all of you bulbs: When I loose a light bulb at any location on the Jeep (turn signals, brake lights etc. ) the dash does really wierd things.
                        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Toolman View Post

my question for you is there an alarm in the vehicle? I have seen alarms cause weird stuff like this when they go bad.

good luck
                          It had an alarm but I took it out because it was motion sensative and would go off everytime there was wind and the wondows moved

Comment

After I installed my A/C I had all sorts of weird turn signal and brake light problems.

Turned out the hazard switch on the multifunction switch had been bumped during the dash pull and was in a partial 'on' position.

Cycled it on and off a few times and all was fine.

Just throwing it out there as something to try.

Good luck!
                            -- Warren
                            1999 SE

Comment

Working...
                            X