Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Went up north in the snow and....

I put it over on the topic "gerneral tech" due to the comparision of the suburban and my wrangler.

Yesterday we meet up north (some where by Ventura) with CI4x4. Huge turn out. There was about 20-25 rigs. There was snow in the local mountains, and we were going to find it. Jeep is down due to the transfer case. So, we brought the '02 suburban 4x4. I wasn't sure how she would do on the trails. 5.3L motor, limited slip in the rear w/3:73. I also have equal to 33" tires. Recently I replaced the rear springs with Z71 (bought from dealer) and Bilstein shocks. But, we would see.

Well, I can report back...WOW! Ride was very smooth compared to the wrangler. We ended up with 4 adults (2 needed a ride after we got there) and 1 child. The burb never got stuck. There was one steep hill with snow (all hills had snow). The jeeps would stop and the bottom, and RUN the hill. I heard talk on the radio "we may have to strap the burb on that". Well, the burb walked right up it. Most were just blown away. We saw this time and time again. Where the jeeps were turning on their lockers (we heard it over the cb) just barely making the hills, and we just walked right up it. No joke. I can only assume the limited, along with power and some said weight helped we had no issues. I see why some go to full size for 4x4 now. Ethan (son) had a great time as he could watch his dvd the whole time..haha!

Here are some pics!

Todd, member here.

Son, Ethan.

Group shot. Suburban on the right.

Last edited by Jeep4cern; 02-01-10, 11:00 AM.

Where did you guys end up wheeling?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

I'll get the trail or mountain. It was off the 5fwy. We meet at Lake Hughes Rd and 5fwy. Then drove maybe 10-15min to the cut off. I just plugged the info in my GPS. I'll post it once I get it.

Comment

Your Suburban's wheelbase will make it ride more smoothly and often perform favorably compared to a SWB Jeep in mud, snow, climbing, etc. I've found that vehicles like the Suburban also tend to perform better than comparable wheelbase pickup trucks due to the additional weight in the back.

Of course, all that wheelbase and weight can turn against you too.
        holes = cowbell

Comment

Liebre Mountain and the trail was the Old Ridge Route Rd

Comment

Working...
          X