Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YJ: Dana 30 non disco shaft swap

I have a set of non-disconnect shafts out of an XJ sitting in my garage. I want to replace my YJ vacuum disconnect shafts. Are these a direct swap? I think I remember reading that I need a different axle seal on the passenger side with these shafts. Is this correct?
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

The shafts themselves are a direct swap and you do need two new seals. Here's a great writeup on doing this swap... http://stu-offroad.com/axle/yjd30con...jconvert-1.htm. Though it's for TJ shafts into a YJ, XJ shafts would be the same.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. Great write-up.
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I think I've got the seals and block off plate you need. I was going to do this swap a long time ago but decided against it. I will have to dig around the spare parts bag. I think I've got a spare TJ shaft too.

Comment

Why did you decide against it? If it ain't broke...?
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Lazy? Was always waiting for my set up to die. I've had the stuff to do it for years. Just one of those mods that just didn't happen.

Comment

I need to find me one of those XJ or TJ shafts too! this is exactly the set up I want to go with. I went with the Posi-lok cable lock and I realy want to get rid of that thing!

Jason, if Scott doesn't want that TJ shaft you have and your lookin to get rid of it, let me know, I'll take it!!!

Scott
              Last edited by avjeepfreek; 01-27-10, 04:30 PM.
              "I got your Jeep Thing....Now it burns when I pee!" :fire:

Comment

I looked at Stu's write-up. Looks good, but why put in the disco seal when it's not used any more? Just put in the seals at the pumpkin, block the hole and run. Don't forget the new shafts...
                God forgives, rocks don't
                -sons of thunder

Comment

That was my thought. Who needs another seal to replace. I guess its only a couple bucks.
                  Those left standing
                  Will make millions
                  Writing books on ways
                  It should have been
                  -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Ok so I did a little more research and There is more to this. The YJ axle housing does not have a macheined slot for the axel seal in the pumpkin on the passanger side. AND the TJ shaft does not have a machiened seal surface where the Disco housing is. SO my plan is to buy both seals and see if I can get a seal to seat well at the pumpkin. If that is not looking good I will try to polish the seal seating surface on the shaft for the one in the Disco houseing. Ill let you guys know how it turns out.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

scott why not just go to the junk yard and get a hp 30 non disco? u can get them fairly cheap. i sure u already knew that. but changing axles and hunting down the right seal seems like a p.i.t.a. .

Comment

when i did my conversion, the seals where not so bad to find,took longer to make the tool to install the seals. the disco cover, i just made out of some aluminum sheet i had in the shop. I can look around for the ##'s, but if i remember just use the part ##'s from a 1996
                        The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

I think I have it all worked out. I talked to the guy at Napa for a while. We looked up the inside diameter of a 98 wrangler axle seal. Then we looked up the outside diameter of the 92 wrangler axle seal. Then we found a seal that matches both. The Napa part number for the seal I bought was "CR11899". I am going to polish up the axle shaft the best I can where the seal will be.

I don't want to go find a HP30 in the junk yard because any axle I bought wouldn’t go under the Jeep till I replace the u-joints and seals anyway. I am just running into a common problem that I am sure all internet Jeepers do. I am waiting for my parts (locker) to come in the mail and planning my build. And them more I read on the WWW the more complicated it gets. Saturday I will tear into the axle and see how it goes. Till then Ill just have to keep pondering all the things I am doing wrong.

Dan if you have the part numbers handy I would be curious to see them. I have two seals that are just from a non disco 30 and a third seal that is an odd one that I think will end up in the empty disco housing. If they are not handy don't worry. What I have will either work or it won’t.
                          Those left standing
                          Will make millions
                          Writing books on ways
                          It should have been
                          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

So I gave this a shot this weekend. I really got my butt kicked on this one. I had a hard time pulling the carrier. I ended up looping a chain around the carrier and hitting the inside of the chain loop to pull the carrier. Everything else went smoothly, except the axle seals. I ruined three $17 axel seals before I gave up. I put it all back together less my diff and the inner axles so I could drive it to work. This is what I have figured out today. I was using NAPA part number 11899 seal which has and outside diameter of 2.128 inches. I got that part number from two separate write ups(don't remember where I think I read all of them on the WWW). I should have been using NAPA part number 11800 that has an outside diameter of 2.004 inches. SO that probably explains why I screwed them up. NAPA is out of the 11800 seal so I will have to order them and give it a go this weekend. I let you guys know how it all works out. And for reference I will be trying to put an axle seal on the passenger sided of the axle right at the beginning of the tube by the pumpkin. There is no seal seating surface here in the housing but there is a seal surface on the TJ/XJ shaft I will be using. This part number probably will not work in the disco housing where the OEM YJ axle seal is.
                            Those left standing
                            Will make millions
                            Writing books on ways
                            It should have been
                            -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Scott,

If I remember correctly, Ken had to hand grind a spot for the new seal to go when I went to a one piece TJ axle. Just a for what it is worth thing. Good luck.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
                              X